The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" - http://boingboing.net/2009/06/24/julian-comstock-robe.html" title="Email to a friend/colleague" target="_blank">

11 Responses to “Julian Comstock: Robert Charles Wilson's masterful novel of a post-collapse feudal America: "If Jules Verne had read Karl Marx, then sat down to write The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"”

Isn’t that ‘julian’ by Gore Vidal?

“If Jules Verne had read Karl Marx, then sat down to write The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire”

Why then, he’d just be H. G. Wells, of course!

hey someone else mentioned this but i have to go ahead and point out that this is essentially Gore Vidal’s Julian, with a change of time and setting, but the similarities are obvious, even small details, like Julian’ beard, his love of philosophy and intense dislike for the ‘Galileans’ as the church or dominion was referred to in Gore Vidals rendition and even the vast territory and a western and eastern army…

Why does the cover look so much like Brian Francis Slattery’s Liberation?

5. william says:

Are you a year behind on your reading? Or a year too ambitious in your estimation of how much you can read? They have the same symptom (a year’s backlog), but different solutions.

I ask this because most teams I work with leap immediately for the first explanation, and then conclude they’re bad people who fail to get enough done. When instead, I’d say they do plenty; they just don’t have a realistic view of how much they can get done.

6. Patrick Nielsen Hayden says:

The cover is reminiscent of Brian Slattery’s Liberation‘s for a good reason: it’s by the same artist and typographer, Ross MacDonald.

Slattery’s book and Wilson’s are as different as they are similar, but the two authors appear to appreciate one another’s novels. On Tor.com, Slattery conducted an excellent three-part interview with Wilson which begins here.

Hmmmm isn’t this yet another hack of Richard III?frugally IN

8. Zig says:

@3 — I thought the same thing. When I initially saw the post I thought it was another review of Liberation.

This book sounds like it may be in a somewhat similar vein, and as I greatly enjoyed Liberation (and Cory’s reviews have yet to steer me wrong) I’ll probably pick this up on my next bookstore outing.

9. ponga says:

Rather than Wilson ripping of Vidal, both ripped off real life.

This reminds me of “American Crown: The Misadventures of Prince Johnny Washington-Bourbon”, which is another hilarious satire about America as a feudal third-world country. It’s an alternate history which split off from our own timeline when George Washington accepted his troops’ offer to make him King.

11. Pantograph says:

They do marvellous things with antipsychotics these days.