Jonathan Worth tries out a copy-friendly photography business-experiment

13 Responses to “Jonathan Worth tries out a copy-friendly photography business-experiment”

1. drivenbyboredom says:

As a photographer I think this is a great idea and I want to support it, but I am also prohibitively broke so it was great to have an $8 option. I hope this ends up working out.

2. Carl Rigney says:

I agree it’s pleasing to have different prices. Even if someone did beat me to buying Page 1. (Was it Shuttleworth again? Shuttlewooooorth!)

It’s a little sad the local school has to turn to donations for new buildings, when the UK government is spending all that money on CC cameras that aren’t helping vs. crime. Maybe UKGov could sell prints from those camera images to fund school buildings?

3. mattwestlake says:

Carl, I am afraid it was me. It’s one of those totally awesome relics of the information age, so I had to buy it!

4. Pixel says:

I had an entertaining experience with various “free” copies of Little Brother when I read it.

I was at a friend’s house, and they’d taken it out of the library, so I spent much of the evening borrowing their copy (which again, they’d borrowed from the library) and reading about 75% of it.
    The next day I went out and bought my own copy of the book on my way to work. Read all but the final chapter, and managed to leave it in my car on lunch. So I ended up reading the final chapter and appendixes via the free online ebook.

Or the short version, in my one reading of Little Brother I managed to do it via library loan, borrowing from a friend, physical purchase & free ebook.

5. range says:

Ah well, nice idea. Now if Etsy would only ship to Germany >:)

But yes, it is a nice idea, I’m always happy when people try out new business ideas.

6. mrhaydel says:

Just so I know, is the reason the shipping is $13 a combination of it coming from the UK, and/or it being shipped in such a way that the photograph doesn’t get bent or something?

I must say, I was a bit surprised that the shipping was nearly twice the price of what I was paying for.

Still, I, like the others, was pleased to see the $8 option, so even those who may not normally be able to participate in such an exercise can!

• mrhaydel says:

And, nevermind.

“Shipping costs are actual postage costs although currency conversion rates may vary. Artifacts will only be shipped insured (signed for by recipient), in hard-backed envelopes with both Manuscript page and Photograph in Archival Sleeves.”

7. Nick says:

I like the picture. It’s the modern equivalent of something like Holbein’s “The Ambasadors” http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/hans-holbein-the-younger-the-ambassadors

The idea of a portrait with all your treasured, or important objects around you is a great way of making a portrait more personal.

Nick

Photo annotations are one of the worst things about Flickr, mainly because they show up by default when enabled, and because most people don’t use them properly. It ruins the photo when someone outlines the entire photo to say “Great” or “Haha,” or it’s got a million little squares for no reason other than to have a conversation that should be in the comments, or it has the dreaded and pretentious “suggested crop.”

Works in this case, however.

• Itsumishi says:

I love the photo annotations, besides it’s not like hovering on the photo for half a second to make them disappear is difficult.

It’s a lovely picture and all, but I’d hardly call it “iconic”. Of course, I’m also not Cory Doctorow.

10. range says:

Funny. Now shipping to Germany works. Thanks :)

An update and review to the Copyleft experiment:

jw