Peter Tchaikovsky (and Friends) Messing Around With A Wax Cylinder Phonograph

14 Responses to “Peter Tchaikovsky (and Friends) Messing Around With A Wax Cylinder Phonograph”

1. boo says:

When one is experimenting with a new technology, goofing around is frequently a useful tool!

And Tchaikovsky wrote music for fairy tales — often very funny. Not all Russians are depressed and depressing.

Tee-hee – Tchaikovsky’s voice sounds like a young Jimmy Page’s.

3. ndollak says:

That was fun! I come from a musical family, and we used to play with tape recorders all the time, fooling with the speed settings, running stuff backward, etc. Sounds like we’re in good company!

I’ve heard of the Brahms cylinder recording – most composers/musicians refrained from actually recording music on the earliest cylinders because of the terrible playback quality (the same reason Vaclav Nijinsky refused to allow anyone to film him dancing). The addition of a motorized crankshaft for steady recording & playback speed improved the sound a bit, but it was still poor and it was some time before a means of reproducing recordings was developed (prior to that, each recording was one-of-a-kind). As for Holst’s “Planets,” although I have a CD of David Nettle & Richard Markham playing the 2-piano version, I didn’t know that Holst & friend had made such a recording as well. I did hear a CD of an orchestral performance, though, with Holst conducting. It was from a set of wax records kept in an archive. As can be expected, the sound quality is not what we’re used to, but it’s great to hear nonetheless.

As for Tchaikovsky’s temperament – he was one of the most depressed individuals ever, when he felt depressed. But he wasn’t like that all the time, or he’d never have gotten anything done. He had quite a few friends, and enjoyed games, jokes & bets. The pas de deux from Act 2 of “Nutcracker”? a friend bet that, although the scale is the basis of Western music, a melody could not be written that consisted of merely a scale. Tchaikovsky said, “Ascending or descending?” and soon won the bet with the pas de deux.

Needs more Auto Tune.

5. Roy Trumbull says:

Edison gave a sketch of the cylinder recorder to one of his craftsmen to make. He was rather concerned when the first recording made on foil worked. Usually his inventions took much more experimentation. The recorder took the country by storm. It was such a hit in the New York patent office that they had to restrict the size of onlookers for fear the floor would collapse. It was next demonstrated at the White House and was taken around the country by showmen who charged audiences for a demonstration.

Actually, Tchaikovsky was a VERY depressed person. Possibly the most of all the great composers.

7. Takashi Omoto says:

I always imagined Tchaikovsky to have the sort of calm and collected voice one would impose to a Russian master raised on the XIX century but he comes out as a cheerful bon-vivant. This is a bit of a shock, to be honest.

8. Richard Kirk says:

I remember hearing a wax cylinder of Johannes Brahms (yep, him, the famous one) intoducaing a was piano cylinder owned by the BBC. The quality was pretty rubbish, but it was da maaan, and that’s what counts. I have since heard the BBC recordings of Poulenc conducting “Figure Humaine” in English (yuk! the French is so much better) just after WW2, and Stravinsky doing “Rite of Spring”. I remember another recording of Stravinsky (this time not the BBC, I think).

You don’t have to be the composer, but if y’are are it counts double. Like the ‘Director’s cut’ of any film, eh?

PS:
    I have also heard a piano roll where one of the two pianists is Holst doing the “Planets Suite”. Have you heard the two pionos version of “The Planets”?. Only Jupiter (which is ENORMOUS) and Uranus (which has one bit which goes BANG!) is different. Saturn (which Holst thought was the best thing he ever wrote) is creepily similar,

• Gilbert Wham says:

That is now my favourite definition of what was my favourite classical music record as a child. It does, indeed, have one bit that goes BANG!

• jacques45 says:

Where does one find this recording of Holst playing Holst? Can’t seem to find any mention of it on the Interwebs, although I did find one of these Japanese pianists on YouTube in recital, which was nice except for one blowing the end of the chorale in Jupiter. Sad.

9. Xenu says:

I’m sure many of us have heard the voice of the ghost of Tchaikovsky…

10. robcat2075 says:

Is there a musician in the house?

11. franko says: