4. Long-form text-only narrative will continue to thrive as it has since cavemen gathered around the fire, just as painting has thrived since Lascaux. The advent of more and richer iterations of multimodal entertainment and edification will not kill off others (either multi or single mode) in the future, just as they did not in the past, though they certainly will kill businesses with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement based on past success in a given mode.Richard Nash: Book Publishing 10 Years in the Future (via Futurismic)
5. The mechanically reproduced object will have its aura restored in this Age of Digital Reproduction and we'll wish, again, that Walter Benjamin could have seen all this.
(Image: File:Lord Stanhopes Printing Press.jpg, Wikimedia Commons)
- Six good technological ideas for improving publishing - Boing Boing
- Elsevier has an entire division dedicated to publishing fake ...
- Social marketing vs publishing -- funny! - Boing Boing
- Funny contrafactual explanation of book publishing - Boing Boing
- Science fiction publishing trends quantified - Boing Boing
- Publishers' shibboleths vs the future of publishing - Boing Boing
- Boing Boing: Shirky: stupid (c) laws block me from publishing own ...
I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.