Canadian copyright astroturf site gives marching orders to its users

12 Responses to “Canadian copyright astroturf site gives marching orders to its users”

When is Canada going to join with DC and push together for better voting representation? Don’t they want at least a full representative in the House? After all if they are going to be subjects of the United Corporations of America they should at least get some representation.

Although fundamentally different, I can’t help but feel this is like what happened in the UK recently with the Digital Economy Bill; nothing to do with democracy, nothing to do with politics, everything to do with music industry fatcats crying and getting their own way; whether it benefits ANYONE or not, under the premise that it will make them more money (which of course every intelligent human being will inform that that it won’t make them more money … maybe lose money, but definitely not make more).

I also agree completely with what @ryanrafferty said; it’s the business model that needs to evolve, not copyright. I’ve been saying this for years. The reason people illegally download and consume content isn’t because they’re criminals, it’s because that’s how they wish to consume content; it’s the industries job to cater for that – Hulu, iPlayer, 4OD, lastfm, spotify, youtube … smart providers are doing this already with great success.

This comment doesn’t fully address the specific topic at hand, but I think covers the overall attitude and arguments involved.

Fortunately, even politicians are smart enough that they have learned to pay little attention to bulk form letters.

4. Matthew Mastracci says:

I took some screenshots of the astroturfing page and posted them on my blog:

I’m beginning to suspect that this is a CRIA-funded operation. On the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/balancedcopyright, you’ll see Graham Henderson himself liking posts. They’ve also posted a number of articles from the CRIA/recording industry-related McCarthy Tétrault law firm.

The comments on some of the links and in the discussion threads of the facebook group are getting pretty funny..

I call the digital-lock-loving lobbyists “Morlocks”, thanks to H.G.Wells. Here’s my take… < http://ripple.ca/?p=5395>

7. millrick says:

“support a balanced, modern and effective Copyright Act in Canada”

by doing exactly as I’m told?
    by not deviating from the script?
    by not voicing my own opinion?
    etc., etc.,

8. ryanrafferty says:

I think the irony here is that the efforts of these large institutions to control copyright in order to improve business will only serve to hurt their business interests.

Most people now, I think, would argue that most of this high end content being offered is already to restrictive– a great example is television, why would I bother with a platform that is time-restricted, saturated with ads, and is decidedly lowbrow.

Make bad content, and not even the most restrictive copyright in the world will make you money… and I am sure if you make great content and give it away for free- a clever person could be profitable.

What is also annoying is that aside from being bad entertainers, bad business people, they also want to create a legacy of being horrible political scientists… here is some advice: fix your business, not copyright.

9. the_bitterness says:

speaking as a canadian, i feel this is another situation where we will do as the americans tell us. our government is constantly kowtowing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowtow) to our neighbours to the south (note: Marc Emery).

• Ceronomus says:

PLEASE do what we Americans are telling you (work to stop this) as opposed to what large, multi-national, corporations are telling you to do.

• Geoff says:

I’m also Canadian, and honestly I don’t think Americans want this either. Our democratic systems have been highjacked by large corporate interest groups.