Did Hitler plan UFO attacks on London? (No. Not really.)

22 Responses to “Did Hitler plan UFO attacks on London? (No. Not really.)”

1. John Coulthart says:

And then there’s the cover for Amon Düül II’s rather fine Live in London album from 1973: UFOs attacking London *and* a Stormtrooper-helmeted giant insect demolishing the Post Office Tower!

2. Clifton says:

Hey, I had that model too! My brother and I also had most of the Aurora Classic Movie Monsters between us, and I had the Aurora torture chamber. (Maybe they can use that as inspiration for their next story.)

3. Bill Beaty says:

They edited out the three mysterious hemispheres!

Without those, the chicken brooder lamp won’t warm any eggs.

Or: high-voltage charged fuselage cannot employ conductive landing gear. Solution: inflated rubberized canvas hemispheres can support enormous weight while standing off megavolts potential with respect to ground.

4. Bill Beaty says:

Sign up to be a pilot in the USA Antigravity Squadron

Also: Russian UFO movie The Last Battle

5. Kyle H says:

Actually the Nazis really did invent a vertical-lift military aircraft: the Flugelrad.

Which looked vaguely UFO-ish (more like a really big Jetson car, really.)

6. enkiv2 says:

Though this may be a marketing thing, the Nazi UFO connection is about as old as the Nazi/Vril connection and the Nazi/Hollow Earth connection. I get the impression that it probably came out of the (well known) connection between prominent Nazis and the Thule Society (though it’s unclear whether or not they were True Believers — they had an obvious interest in the use of propaganda, and any cult that can convince a large number of people that they live on the inside surface of the earth with the sun in the center has something to teach you about propaganda) and the use of ex-Nazis in the cold war space-race (via Paperclip). I’m not sure if there are any reliable sources indicating flying-saucer wunderwaffen, but it’s a pretty short leap.

In fact, the idea of Nazi UFOs may predate the end of WWII, given the prevalence of foo fighters (including saucer/cigar types — not just ghost rockets) during the fighting. I remember reading something about… I want to say swedes or finns blaming the foo fighters on the Germans (the US and UK soldiers generally assumed they were Japanese weapons, as implied by the term ‘foo fighter’, though there is evidence that the term predates world war two and simply owes some of its popularity to this assumption).

7. Cynical says:

I guess if anyone should know what Hitler was up to it would be the Daily Mail:

8. jjoensuu says:

Funnily during the last year I have been reading of various things that were supposedly being developed by Nazis, the latest (before this UFO thing) was an Iron Man type of suit for the soldiers…

9. ackpht says:

Per the last fifty years TV and movies, the Nazis were developing everything- hydrogen bombs, bioweapons, genetically-engineered soldiers, time travel, zombies, you name it, they had it.

Flying saucers? Phfft- piece of cake.

10. ultranoia says:

I smell guerrilla marketing: http://www.ironsky.net/

The website of the SyFy Channel covered it too:

12. Church says:

Damnit! ultranoia beat me to it.

13. lava says:

I think they also photoshopped the turret from a Panther tank on the bottom of said schicksalsaucer. Also seems to look bitchin.

I rather like the Horton brothers flying wing bomber and suspect that given more time it could have flown possibly as far as America. Here is a link to a forum where ‘Henk’ gives us everything on the subject. The pictures are worth the look.

15. ali says:

SchicksalSaucer der Himmel, which, roughly translated, means Doom Saucer of the Skies.

Actually it translates rather nonsensically as “Fate-Saucer the Sky” or “Fate-Saucer of the Skies” (and Saucer in German would be Untertasse).

But it is still pretty amazing that we only found out now, the Nazis tried to attack London in flying saucers. Thanks for uncovering that. Ignorance must be fought!

Don’t be stupid, the Daleks were on the Allied side!

The whole Nazi UFO thing is fun but it was actually made up wholesale, and admittedly so, by Ernst Zündel as a cynical means of sneaking his holocaust denial stuff into UFO/conspiracy circles.

18. coop says:

Looks a lot like the UFO model I had in the late 60′s from the TV show, The Invaders.

Looks like someone loves the model even more than I did…

coop

19. Baron Karza says:

“Did Hitler plan UFO attacks on London? (No. Not really.)”

Um, actually he did. I read about it in school!

20. tamgoddess says:

I thought I read “shicksa saucer,” which would have been a much better name.