Record industry sues isoHunt for millions using Canada's "lax" copyright laws

10 Responses to “Record industry sues isoHunt for millions using Canada's "lax" copyright laws”

1. Pliny the Elder says:

isohunt isn’t even a bittorrent tracker, it’s a freaking search engine! By that logic, google is also illegal because you can use it to find websites that in turn help you download things.

2. diginferno says:

Wealth destroyers? Well, guess who are these wealth destroyers? The Recording Industry themselves, because they refuse to sell their products to inferior beings like myself (I am not an American citizen).

3. RuthlessRuben says:

I think the main problem about comments so far is that they all assume that the record industry uses a relatively sound, logic-based approach to the piracy issue and isn’t just throwing its wheight around to squeeze money from new sources in a frightening new world where they are become more and more redundant.

4. duncan says:

Not to mention that the record labels in Canada are themselves guilty of pirating. They’ve been making music compilations for years and have neglected to pay royalties to artists. Hypocrisy, I think is the word.

Yeah, Canada’s definitely a piracy haven… for the labels, that is. Will the new laws help to force the labels to pay the royalties they’ve been keeping for themselves?

(haha of course not)

Translation:

We the Industry don’t want to have the burden of proof to punish others.

7. turn_self_off says:

Wealth destroyers?! Someone needs to read up on what wealth really is…

8. manicbassman says:

I was under the impression that they paid a recordable media tax in Canada which makes the RIAA and MPAA’s arguments redundant

• dmatos says:

We do pay a blank media levy, which is supposed to provide us license to copy music for our own personal use. It does not cover television shows, movies, or even books on tape.

Also, the levy allows personal copying for personal use. I’m not allowed to copy a CD and give it to my friend, but they’re allowed to come over to my home, take one of my blank CDs and use my computer to copy one of my music CDs for their use.

Under the levy, the courts have ruled that downloading is legal, but uploading is not legal. With bittorrent, any downloader is also an uploader, and technically in violation of copyright law.

9. GeekDadCanada says:

You want “wealth destroyers”? Close down the piracy stores at Pacific mall in Toronto.

One of the reasons bittorrents are so popular here is because so much content on the web is “US only”. I’d gladly pay for content, and do pay for it whenever it’s available here, but you can’t have it both ways.