San Francisco's iconic neon Yahoo! sign is coming down

17 Responses to “San Francisco's iconic neon Yahoo! sign is coming down”

1. Jonathan Badger says:

Can it be saved for posterity? Like Vegas’ Neon Museum, which has signs for long defunct casinos?

2. Brainspore says:

Too bad. It was a kind of fun bit of nostalgia from days gone by, like those “Burma Shave” signs you still see in some parts of the country. The actual product may not be around anymore but— wait. Yahoo still exists!?

3. jb says:

I remember when for a brief time there was a similar billboard in Silicon Alley, NY – on Houston, 2 blocks east of Broadway as I recall.

It really was a beautiful thing.

4. GawainLavers says:

Awwww.  I’ll miss it (especially when the main thing it leaves is as crappy, uber-generic coca-cola sign), but there’s always something reminding me of where I live.  I remember seeing an airplane pulling an ad banner around Willie Mays Park one day for “Borland C++ Complier”.

5. Ramone says:

Wait, why is coming down?

6. semiotix says:

I hope they replace it with something even more retro, like spelling their name into the side of their warehouse by using a different color brick, or painting it down the side of their smokestacks.

7. StAlfongzo says:

I was just reminiscing the other day about the Old Folgers Coffee guy that used to be near the clock at the exit of the bridge not far from this sign. It used to smell like coffee when you drove by that area. It was there for longer than 10 years.  10 years doesn’t seem that long for the Yahoo sign although they don’t quite make em like that anymore.

8. MrEricSir says:

They should replace it with the 17 Reasons sign!

9. Dave Jenkins says:

If Google were smart, they’d buy up the billboard and put their own neon version (or better yet, some full-screen zowiness), just to show everyone that the new Master of the Internet is fully ensconced.

10. wrybread says:

Its the end of an error!

11. Teller says:

Way to go, Flick!

12. crummett says:

Ten years? That’s like a century in Internet time!