17 Responses to “DoS for phones: "busy signal service" clobbers the phone-lines of companies while their servers are being plundered”

1. Can we hire him to DOS congress over SOPA? (THIS IS SATIRE. I AM IN NO WAY ADVOCATING THE USE OF ANY SUCH SERVICE TO DISRUPT THE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS)

2. Steve Hoefer says:

I know, from watching movies, that server admins sit up late watching log files scroll in to detect unlawful intrusion, so I can see how distracting them with phone calls might distract them from sensing unauthorized access.

It also appears that server admins at most companies also man the phone banks in addition to their other duties.

• That_Anonymous_Coward says:

Or they are outsourced and need to call in to get physical access to stop the machine.  Or they see the intrusion and try to call out and can not get an outside line.

3. wolfwitch says:

So- they will tie up my company’s switchboard as a distraction to break into my servers? Seems silly to me, especially since it is two completely different systems and departments. Sure- I’ll get a call about it, but I would just offload it to the phone company to track down and block. I believe disrupting a communications system in this manner is also illegal in most places, possibly even in this joker’s country.

• dragonfrog says:

I think you’re missing the point.  This service comes in when the attacker already has as much control as he figures he’s going to get over your company’s banking, and decides it’s time to pull the trigger.  If breaking into your servers was involved in getting that control, it happened last week or six months ago.

Now it’s D-Day.  The attacker pays a few bucks to tie up the phone lines for a few days.  He pays a few bucks to someone else to knock the email system offline for the same period.  He pays a few grand to a money mule service to help him launder your company’s money out of the country.

Then he starts draining the company’s bank accounts.  The bank starts sending email confirmations of the transactions, but they don’t get through.  At some point, a threshold of unusual transactions is reached and the bank starts phoning the company’s finance department, but they don’t get through.

Two days later, the storm ends as suddenly as it began, the IT team collapses into an exhausted sleep, and that’s when the finance departmen starts to piece together what happened.

And I very much doubt that anyone offering services to enable massive financial fraud is terribly concerned the legalities.

4. voiceinthedistance says:

“Cybercrime” and “service”.  Two unlikely bedfellows.  I hope one of them remembered the condom, or we are in for a lot more of the same.

5. I don’t see this as a hugely useful tool to aid traditional hacking, but it sure is a nasty way to attack a competitor… on any budget.

6. davidasposted says:

His primary contact is ICQ …?

7. pete_thedevguy says:

Huh… I wonder what mr. russian icq’s software looks like.  Probably something like this:

8. slapphappe says:

I suspect the real scam here is their escrow service provider, not the DoS service. The offer to pay only after you’re a happy customer is too seductive to be real — even from “fellow” criminals. You’re shafted even before you’ve tried their service and then SOL trying to report the loss — by your own criminal intent.

9. SoItBegins says:

I’m not entirely sure this would work too well. For starters, there’s ways to get around it, including but not limited to:

• Calling the IT department directly, if everything’s not too overloaded
    • Calling the IT persons’ cell phones
    • Texting/IMing the IT dept
    • Sneakernet message system / public address system (sadly, this only works if everyone’s in the same building)

• dragonfrog says:

This isn’t about the IT department.  They don’t care what the IT department does or knows.  It’s all about knocking the accountants offline for a day or so.

10. digi_owl says:

DOSing the company switchboard you say?