Rosary of skulls and faces

9 Responses to “Rosary of skulls and faces”

1. Nezrite says:

I like this.  I especially like it more than how I originally read the headline, which was “skulls and feces.”  I should have finished that second cup of coffee, in retrospect.

2. FreakCitySF says:

Want!

3. Rich Keller says:

There’s something so opulent and grisly about art from that place and time, but I keep thinking the we aren’t supposed to forget Morey Amsterdam.

4. Got Medieval says:

Small world. I used an image of a similar, less elaborate rosary, to begin a post on Hitchen’s death. Even if people are tired of hearing about that subject now, it’s still a neat picture:

5. Antinous / Moderator says:

yak bone skulls

Not as fancy, but you can’t make it through the Himalayas without buying a few handfuls in the form of a 27 or 108 bead mala.

6. LydiRae says:

This is exactly what I would buy if I won the lotto.

7. Thorzdad says:

It’s pretty cool. But, I’m trying hard to figure out how one would use it as a rosary. Or, was the rosary performed differently in the 1500′s?

8. justine says:

From the colour, cracks, quality of the carving and the Met reference, I’m going to assume these are ivory (of the elephant variety). Gorgeous. Bad for the elephants, of course, but an amazing carving medium all the same…

9. License Farm says:

I get to protect this piece sometimes. Granted, inside a display case it doesn’t need much more help, but I’m the human failsafe if the other humans exceed tolerances. I’d like to see someone’s old Catholic grandmother carry these around in their purse; I bet she’d start being invited to black metal clubs.