Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, The Race To Make The First Rap Records Begins

PREV • INDEXNEXT

16 Responses to “Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, The Race To Make The First Rap Records Begins”

1. troutfishinginamerica says:

Sigh. RIP, Sylvia.

2. benher says:

This counteracted the “Reagan-black-president” post perfectly. I look forward to these every week!

3. noah django says:

Nice.  We had “Personality Jock/King Tim III” at my store for a while.  it was cool, but not super-dope like we were hoping.
    I’ve commented on this before when Ms. Robinson’s obit was posted, but to this day it blows my mind that she was the one singing “Oh, loverboy!” etc on “Love is Strange” (most famous from Dirty Dancing, you know the one.)

4. Chris Burch says:

I hope we get a whole story on the guy missing the finger in the 2nd to last panel.

5. niktemadur says:

I’d love to see this taken one step further back, to the late sixties and the Black Power movement, The Last Poets and Gil Scott-Heron should not be overlooked, they were most definitely rapping.  Bongos aside, the topics and delivery were the template for bands like Public Enemy.

6. tinkafoo says:

Just postin’ some Books:

7. 666beast1 says:

Love this series! Ed may want to kill me but…. Is it possible we could see a sample page without the “old comic paper” tone on the borders and between panels? While I think it might lend a Leonardo-esque sfumato of depth to the panels themselves I would like to see the white for contrast. I’m thinking especially of the large mis-registered-for-effect panel of The Mighty Sasquatch.

• Ed Piskor says:

The pages were drawn with the idea that they’d be in color, so I feel like the original drawings look unfinished and lame. Especially, the Sasquatch panel, because I knew it had to be a simple drawing to be able to read with the off- register layers. That said, here’s a B&W image from this weeks strip, if you’re curious.

• 666beast1 says:

I think it looks great! The line work is strong, doesn’t look lame to me at all, I’m assuming that’s brush for the black and white.  Thanks.

• Ed Piskor says:

Crowquills, Micron pens, brushes, and photoshop. Do you go to San Diego Comic Con? I’m going to have some of this stuff in an art show that weekend.

• 666beast1 says:

I’m close to NYC.  Please let everyone in this area know when you are in the northeast. Great work!

8. chris jimson says:

And so begins the debate over WHO actually put out the first “rap” record, the Fatback Band or Sugarhill gang.

Personally I tend to go even farther into the past, and say it’s a toss-up between Pigmeat Markham’s “Here Come De Judge” and Jimmy Dean’s “Big Bad John.”

• Ed Piskor says:

We could take it all the way back to the 30′s if I’m not careful. The comic is less a linear history of rap, than it is an examination of the direct relationships that built upon each other to create a global phenomenon in just a few years. Kool Herc was the most logical place for me to start with this idea in mind.

9. addalled says:

What year was this published?