Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, The Cold Crush Brothers

PREV • INDEXNEXT

17 Responses to “Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, The Cold Crush Brothers”

1. Ed Piskor says:

About 4:25 in (pay no attention to the date of the vid, this scene from the comic takes place in 1980):

2. Ed, this whole series is flipping amazing. Great work!

3. These comics are the high point of my day, any day, but especially Tuesday!  Keep ‘em coming, man!!!

4. Slowermo says:

I just started buying shoes where I can’t feel every rock. That one would have hit home.

5. chris jimson says:

Isn’t this from one of those “Live Convention bee-bop’s” LPs?

6. cubby96 says:

Really great.  Can’t wait for a chance to buy the eventual book.

A minor nit – in the recording you linked, I think they rhymed damp with stamp, not chance.  I think the line is “when it comes to cash, you ain’t got a stamp” as in not even a food stamp.  Doesn’t really detract from the piece, and I really respect your sharing the source.

I’m jealous that I didn’t get to witness this part of hip hop history, and appreciate the lesson.  All those Beastie Boys lyrics that reference this stuff make so much more sense now.  Thanks for the context.

7. penguinchris says:

I’m not a huge hip hop fan but I love stuff like this, the light-hearted wordplay (despite the relative nastiness of the insults, it’s done in the spirit of fun).

8. DJBudSonic says:

“So you wanna play the Dozens…?”  Love it -once again you made my day with your hip-hop time machine

9. Ed Piskor says:

By the way, the Cold Crush Brothers are still doing their thing, with great style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VDIt0dH2mc

10. Tim Maughan says:

I’m fairly confident this is the best thing ever.

11. MrJM says: