19 Responses to “Fran Kranz will star in the directorial debut of Gillian Greene-Raimi, Murder of a Cat

1. Donald Petersen says:

Aw, fiddlesticks.  The Evil Dead is no “horror comedy classic.”  Evil Dead 2 is.

Otherwise, carry on.

2. Elliottw says:

Surely there’s a role for Bruce Campbell in it.

3. Hendog says:

This does actually sound very good, and I enjoyed Fran on Dollhouse, but is there anyone else who really did not think Cabin the Woods was that impressive or particularly smart? Anyone?

• Genre Slur says:

I drooled once, and gave standing applause twice during the film. So,  I am sad to admit that I’m not in your corner on this one. However, I also think that John Carpenter is one the top five American filmmakers, ever. Hey, there’s no accounting for taste.

• Slowermo says:

I haven’t seen Cabin In The Woods yet (in fact I skipped half this post for fear of spoilers) but I’m going to side with it being good based on your love of Carpenter. And I can’t imagine someone would devalue the opinion of another who held him in high regard.

• Genre Slur says:

I seriously think Carpenter’s masterful and fastidious craftsmanship is not noticed simply because he chose to work within the (very american) horror/scifi/exploitation genres. His art direction, cinematography, and approach to dialogue are formidably top-shelf. His semiotics are mutli-scaled and as tight as any pure ‘symbolist’ (aka Jodorowsy), yet cohere to narrative by being consistent in his presentation. But again, most of my friends ‘glaze over’ when I point any of this out. Haha!
               Back to topic: I liked how Fran presented his character in TCITW, and the plot to this film reeks of Dirk Gently, so I am waiting with ‘baited’ breath.

• Donald Petersen says:

Carpenter is good indeed, and sometimes great.  I used to get a bit irritated about his chronic habit of taking a possessory credit (John Carpenter’s Vampire$, John Carpenter’s Ghosts of Mars, John Carpenter’s The Thing, etc.), since I’ve always felt that film is a far more collaborative artform than such a credit would imply, but I do really enjoy his work.  He’s said, “In France, I’m an auteur; in Germany, a filmmaker; in Britain, a genre film director; and, in the USA, a bum.”  That about sums it up.

Oh, and TCITW rocks.  All my Carpenterphile friends think so, come to think of it.

• LaCane says:

I hated every single second of it, so there’s at least two of us.

• Dlo Burns says:

I repeated my mistake of confusing it with Cabin Fever by Eli Roth; a movie which I loathe except for two scenes.

Otherwise I haven’t seen it.

• Bobsyeruncle says:

I thought it was alright.  The problem was that Joss Whedon would do this sort of thing in his tv shows, i.e. each episode was gradually leading up to an apocalyptic season finale.  Well, that was true of Buffy 3,5,7; Angel 4,5 and Dollhouse 2.  This time, he crammed it all into a 90-minute movie.  It was cool to see all the monsters pop up, but he totally killed any sense of suspense.

• Talia says:

It wasn’t a staggering work of cinematic genius, but I found it tremendously enjoyable, aided by a funny script, good actors and plenty of entertaining visuals.

4. Genre Slur says:

“Good work, zombie arm.”

5. Slowermo says:

This does sound promising. Although I like Jay Baruchel, I would be even more interested in that version. Between this and the Michael J Nelson interview Jamie Frevele has become my favorite BB poster.

6. Richard Hung says:

Who will play the cat?  Professor Meowington?  Lorenzo the Cat?  Maru?  Morris?  Some unknown upstart?

7. Thad Boyd says:

and now, we’ve got two Raimis. That’s double the Raimis!

Unless you can think of a Sam Raimi movie that doesn’t have Ted in it, I think I’m going to have to correct your math.