Actor Michael Clarke Duncan dies at 54

19 Responses to “Actor Michael Clarke Duncan dies at 54”

1. Scott Slemmons says:

The man had a fantastic voice. I’ve got a pretty deep voice, and I’ve wished for years I could sound more like him…

2. skestes says:

He recently became a vegetarian and I found myself wondering if his health suffered as a result. Being a man of great stature it had to be a shock to his system.

• RedShirt77 says:

While I imagine the source of his problem was really about is sheer size including both weight and height, I too would wonder is a sharp drop in protein consumption could be a factor.

• Rickenbacker4001 says:

Yet, he commented that he had increased strength and endurance from his vegetarian diet. Hard to say what the true reasons are.

• nvlady says:

As someone who has been vegan for a years, there is ZERO factual evidence to support your statement. ‘Shock to his system’, plah-eze.

His health suffered because of a heart attack. His diet change sadly was too late to aid in his long term health.

I echo the sentiments of the article. It always pleased me to see him in a film. He was cool in whatever he did and you could see he was having a great time.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

“A shock to his system”? How 18th Century. He died of complications of a myocardial infarction. Myocardial infarctions are due to reduced blood flow, generally from cholesterol plaque. Becoming a vegetarian as cause for an MI is unlikely.

• skestes says:

I never said it was the cause. I wondered if his health suffered for the worse because of his diet which led to or exasperated the complications.

There are right ways and wrong ways to eat, be it omnivore, herbivore, or vegan.

None of it was meant to be an attack on anyone, be it the deceased or any other like-minded person.

• RedShirt77 says:

It’s much more 21st century to assume the veganism can miracle away ailments and cure cancer.

3. Preston Sturges says:

“Always leave them wanting more”.
    -P.T. Barnum/Walt Disney

4. Danielle Fuchs says:

Please.  He didn’t become a vegetarian *soon enough* to heal his heart.

• awjt says:

Exactly… when you’re having fun, it’s easy to take that to an excess and eat great/terrible food.  Do that for years, and you’ve done yourself a disservice.  But we can’t judge this man.  We have NO IDEA what happened with his heart.  It could have been a lifelong problem, not just something easily dismissable as, “oh bad diet.”  Who knows.

5. Janet Kramer says:

The very first time I watched the Green Mile I was mesmmerized by him, his power and tenderness will always warm my heart. God has a very special place for this man, Prayers to everyone affected, especially those closest.

6. jessie says:

I still think he had the perfect physique for the role of ‘The Kingpin’. Great casting, terrible movie.

7. RedShirt77 says:

He will be missed.  He was one of those supporting actors that was always like a special effect in and of himself.

8. Preston Sturges says:

There’s just a large number of men that drop dead of heart attack in their early 50s.  Usually the heart attack is so massive they literally die on the spot.

9. John Maple says:

I too will never, ever forget his role in “The Green Mile”.
    His work there was very moving and heart wrenching.

10. Bliss says:

“Come get Papa Bear!” :’(, Good bye, and thanks for all the laughts.

11. Will Bueche says:

He was great in D.E.B.S.. Without him, a sequel wouldn’t be the same. But I still want one.