Ransom & Mitchell's phantasmagoric photo narratives, San Francisco show

10 Responses to “Ransom & Mitchell's phantasmagoric photo narratives, San Francisco show”

1. That is so going on your entry on the About Us page.

• David Pescovitz says:

Only if it says:
      “As a child, Pesco spent too much time watching ‘In Search of…’ and ‘The Twilight Zone’ when not hanging out at the local magic shop.”

• Michael says:

Is the magic shop still open? A visit would make a great BB post. Loved Steve Martin’s reminiscence about his time in one in Born Standing Up. I’ve always wanted to do a book collecting photographs of shops and the ones that still remain.

• David Pescovitz says:

That’s a great idea! Sadly, this one has been closed for many years. Curiously, it was a display counter and shelf that the proprietor rented in a corner of an independent drug/variety store (when independent drug/variety stores still existed).

• Antinous / Moderator says:

That’s the difference between us. You were at the local magic shop and I was under the covers with a flashlight reading demonology texts.

• David Pescovitz says:

That came later. And even then, I didn’t understand what I was reading. But damn I loved the illustrations.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I may have been the only fifth-grader in the US in 1967 who wore a pentagram to school and knew how to do an exorcism.

• B E Pratt says:

reply to Antonious: Didn’t have a pentatgram at that age, but did understand exorcism. My favorite book was ‘The Black Arts’  by Richard Cavendish. It is still in print and is the most level-headed book you’ll find on the subject.

2. I am SO very very excited about this exhibit!