40 Responses to “J.J. Abrams' Star Trek gets an official title that looks like it's suffering from a typo”

1. viveleroi says:

They were saying they wanted to avoid using a colon as well as giving it a number. It likely reads worse than it will feel when we see it on posters and other titles – I’m foresee a tiny font “STAR TREK” above much larger letting for “INTO DARKNESS”

2. Patrick Bogen says:

Reminds me of “Transformers: Dark of the Moon”

3. Or is this title trying to underline that “Star Trek” literally means star trek, instead of just being a totally abstract sequence of letters symbolizing the franchise? (like the disney logo is when you’re a child (and well into adolescence for me at least))

4. vtblues says:

I think a thorough colonoscopy  is in order here

5. spacemunky says:

They don’t need a colon, they’re going to punctuate it with lens flare.

6. iamlegion says:

Anyone wanna Fire Walk With Me?

7. spejic says:

I think numerals are best. For example, something like “I Pissed All Over STAR TREK Before, And Now I Am Doing A Number 2″.

8. Adam L. Cox says:

Eh, J.J. Abrahms is to Star Trek as Count Chocula is to prime rib.  Which is to say, I don’t know what they’re doing hanging out together, either.

9. annoyingmouse says:

Seriously, nobody is going to be “that guy”? This is still the internet, yes? Nobody is going to point out the detail that is frustrating the hell out of your nerd mind? Nobody? Ok I’ll be the one. The official title of Star Trek 2 is The Wrath of Khan. This title is referring to Star Trek 12. Sadly they haven’t gone with my suggested title Star trek 12: Adventures of a Boring Pedant…

10. Star Trekkin’ Across The Universe?

Had to be done

11. Jim Saul says:

So many film makers in the science fiction genre got their start working on John Carpenter/Dan O’Bannon’s Dark Star…

Maybe a little insider reference? Though obviously more the reference to Conrad. I guess that makes Benedict Cumberbatch likely some form of Kurtz.

I wish it was Harvey Mudd.

Probably Gary Mitchell?

If they ever bring back Khan they should cast Nestor Carbonell.

12. corydodt says:

Also, this is for most of the snarky denizens of this thread, myself included.

13. paolonorte says:

This thread should be subtitled “Into Dorkness”

14. James says:

I blame Lindelof.

15. Aleknevicus says:

Title aside, I’m hoping they come up with a flawed premise and then spend the entire movie bending the storyline and any sense of logic and reason to get themselves out of that very premise.

You know, like the first one.

16. Wayne Dyer says:

I was hoping for Star Trek: The Hands of Fate

17. Just_Ok says:

Star Trek 12: The Search for Profit.

18. Donald Petersen says:

Aw, it ain’t so bad.  Can’t one trek on into something?  Merriam-Webster cites trek as an intransitive verb before the noun reference.  So you can, in a spiritual sense, hop into one’s starship and star trek on down into darkness with a spring in one’s step and a tribble in one’s heart.

I wonder if Paramount saw what New Line did with their sequel to the remake of Journey to the Center of the Earth, cheekily dubbing it Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. For what it’s worth, New Line left the colon off the poster, too.

I think I’m just as unlikely to watch STID as I was J2TMI.

19. Brainspore says:

I really hope that someone mistakenly left out the colon in between Star Trek and Into Darkness

The good news is that there is a colon. The bad news is that the title is written as “STAR: Trek Into Darkness.

20. social_maladroit says:

Here’s an idea: let Joss Whedon write and direct an episode.

[Over the ship-wide intercom] “This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then — explode.”

21. noah django says:

i LOVE colon!

22. If Spock gets lucky (as rumored), there’s going to be hell to pay on this title. Why would Paramount want that?

23. show me says:

I think the colon is implied when you say “Into Darkness”…