Klein bottle bottle opener

19 Responses to “Klein bottle bottle opener”

1. Sean says:

THIS STATE MUST NOT REMAIN!!  This is why I studied science.  Thank you science muse.

2. Paul Renault says:

Missed it by THAT much: it could’ve/should’ve been a Sierpinski-Klein Bottle Opener.

3. mrtut says:

What, I thought it only opens in the fourth dimension?

4. MJSS says:

That copy suggests something false, namely that a wild sphere could potentially fail to divide 3-space into two disconnected regions. The Jordan-Brouwer separation theorem states that *any* sphere divides 3-space into two disconnected regions.

However, if the sphere is wild, those regions might not be simply connected (that is, there might be a loop in 3-space which doesn’t intersect the sphere, but which can’t be shrunk to a point without passing through the sphere).

5. Greg Miller says:

Glad to notice “A tip of the manifold” to Clifford Stoll at the bottom of the page, good guy.

6. ldobe says:

Anyone else read the headline and think it meant something to the effect of “a device for opening Klein bottles”?

• dragonfrog says:

How would you know whether such a device had worked?

• jackbird says:

You’d be on the other inside.

• ldobe says:

A Klein bottle has no inside of any kind. It’s literally impossible to contain anything in a true 4D Klein bottle. Similarly to how it’s impossible to write on the “rear surface” of a Möbius strip.

At least that’s how I understand it. And there’s a strong chance that I’m just very wrong, and sound like a fool. Feel free to correct me with a source if this is the case.

7. imag says:

That is one of the great product descriptions of all time.

8. Punchcard says:

I totally want one.

Not at that price though. At this point 3-D printing for  tchotchkes is quite absurd. I’ll wait for the die-cast version made for cents on the dollar soon to be sold at my local science museum gift shop.

9. Dave Pease says:

Bathsheba Grossman makes some cool stuff.

10. Helvis says:

I can’t be the only one who immediately thought of Jim Woodring when I saw this!!

11. silkox says:

I’ve been keeping an eye on 3-D printing for years, and it seems like only yesterday it was possible to buy a kit of parts to assemble into a printer (Makerbot?) for about $500. Does this exist any more?

12. Jim Davison says:

I fundamentally reject any 4th dimensional shenanigans that might allow the beer the enter my body without first passing my lips.