Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Genius Rap, and The Original Human Beatbox

By Ed Piskor at 7:00 am Tue, Dec 11, 2012

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

Published 7:00 am Tue, Dec 11, 2012

About the Author

Hip Hop Family Tree is in stores. Pre-order Hip Hop Family Tree book 2 on Amazon!

More at Boing Boing

The 1944 science fiction story that predicted the atomic bomb

In 1944, fully a year before the first successful nuclear test, Astounding Science Fiction magazine published a remarkably detailed description of an atomic bomb in a story called Deadline. The story, by the otherwise undistinguished author Cleve Cartmill, sent military intelligence racing to discover the source of his information — and his motives for publishing it.

Tikis of Bora Bora

Mark Frauenfelder returns from vacation with a substantially-enlarged collection of tiki photographs.

9 Responses to “Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Genius Rap, and The Original Human Beatbox”

1. Hamish Grant says:

for reference:

Genius Rap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAY4DFQvR3Y
    Doug E Fresh in Action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYJPOoy_eMM

2. Steve White says:

Every time man.  I just love these.

3. Ed Piskor says:

Here’s a good, early interview/demonstration. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ARBgBeHY1w

4. Love the subtle stuff you’re doing with perspective in those first few panels, man.  Keep on rockin’!

5. devophill says:

Ed, I have the sneaking suspicion that most of the background characters aren’t just nobodys, but will show up in later episodes.

6. Mister44 says:

YES – Doug E Fresh – my boy!

7. noah django says:

I was a preferred customer at the shop I bought my copy from, they let me dig the crates of the incoming stock before it was priced and shelved.  the best thing about Genius Rap is that the b-side is 10 minutes of the Genius Of Love beat–one of the greatest beats of all time–and as you noted, this version is synched to a computer drum; a tremendous boon for mixing!

When I realized what I was holding, I told my man Nathan “I don’t care what you charge me, I’m leaving the store with this twelve-inch.”  “Uh, I really don’t know what a fair price would be….”  “how ’bout ten bucks?”  and that is how pic related got into my crate.