20 Responses to “Mitch O'Connell the World's Best Artist by Mitch O'Connell - exclusive preview of his new art book”

1. Preston Sturges says:

Does he do that  blue angel on black velvet?

2. Ladyfingers says:

I’m always sort of amused how a dash of that old “retro” pixie dust makes art featuring scantily clad big-titty-ladies so acceptable to the ironic classes.

The best description I’ve ever heard of burlesque: “Tits out for the grads!”

3. robuluz says:

Awesome.

4. Halloween_Jack says:

This stuff is great. And, even if he really needed the work when he submitted stuff to Marvel, not having to work under the Shooter regime was a blessing in disguise, by most accounts of people who did.

5. aperturehead says:

kooky Jetsons graphic topology (check)

kooky 50s horror movie references (check)

kooky Tarot / poker / Día de los Muertos imagery (check)

kooky pop culture graphic insertions for no reason (check)

kooky “groovy” lettering lifted from SHAG lifted from
    unknown talented artists of an earlier generation (check)

kooky Satanic imagery (check)

kooky humorous drug and sex references
    in overt kooky comic form (check)

kooky beatnik / hipster / psychedelic morphs (check)

Yep, it’s all there.

6. purple-stater says:

Best is a somewhat subjective term.  I love his use of color, but have never cared for the drawing style.

7. Hanglyman says:

I love the choice of Dr. Phibes as the star of the Music Box Massacre one. I’m sure there are more obvious monsters that could have been chosen, but he really makes it stand out.

8. Pope Ratzo says:

I want to know how the lady riding the back of the S&M guy is able to keep a cigarette between her teeth and stick her tongue out at the same time.

9. silkox says:

Am I the only one who thought the headline said “Mitch McConnell”?

• Gyrofrog says:

Every time I see this guy’s name I keep thinking of Mitch McConnell as well.

While I’m here, take note that Jimmy Jalapeeno once claimed to be world’s best artist, or perhaps that was world’s greatest artist.

10. OMG hahahahah this guy is so over the top….!  Luv it!

11. You have been beaten to the punch:

He was and is so much better.

12. benher says:

I got my own copy of Mitch’s latest tome from Last Gasp just a little bit ago.
    I didn’t realize just how extensive Mitch’s career has been. It’s a beautiful collection of 700+ illustrations that shame me in more ways than one!

And for those with a biblio fetish, the glitter foam vinyl cover is the best print sex you’ve had in a while.

13. Reminds me very much of Vince Ray.