David Pescovitz is Boing Boing's co-editor/managing partner. He's also a research director at Institute for the Future. On Instagram, he's @pesco.

TAGS:

13 Responses to “Video of recursive hand illusions”

1. FrankenPC . says:

Brilliant!  The black and white photography is also a nice touch.

2. rattypilgrim says:

Excellent manicure.

3. headcode says:

There may be no computer generated trickery but there is a ton of editing trickery!  It’s awesome, but the title led me to expect something different.

• ldobe says:

Yeah.  I’ll be buggered if that was a single continuous shot.
      I’m sort of left thinking, what’s the illusion?  That people won’t be annoyed by the deceptive title claiming there was sleight of hand when it’s obviously just very well done frame matching?
      It is impressive though that he was able to so perfectly frame match.  I’m guessing he had a friend who could slide in new photos and take snapshots from the camera.

• Syn - says:

This. Like hell there’s no computers in the way. Show me a side shot of the sleight of hand, and i’ll believe you. For now, i can see a lot of editing tricks. Looks amazing! But don’t lie to me.

• Paul Renault says:

I came here to say the same thing: Unless the video was edited on tape, with razor blades and splicing tape, it involved a computer, so…

4. Daemonworks says:

No computer generated trickery… unless you count the use of video editing software.

5. Brad Bell says:

I think “not computer generated” means two things to two audiences. To filmmakers, it means “this is not a computer animation.” To the general public, it likely means “a live continuous take, ie. no editing.” Of course, it’s an editing film. The static camera is not that interesting, nor imaginably, what is happening in front of the camera. The editing is where the magic happens.

People often update the info attached to the video based on people’s questions or misconceptions. This can cause further misconceptions.

6. Ray Perkins says:

If you look at his watch you can see it took a couple of hours to film. I’d be interested to see how it was made, though.

7. MissCellania says:

How did he hold the camera?