Onion gets hacked by Syrian propagandists, responds with funny article

33 Responses to “Onion gets hacked by Syrian propagandists, responds with funny article”

1. remainzz says:

“before they bust in here and execute every single one of us”
    Ha ha , man that’s not funny!

• What is the problem? I find it funny! :/

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I showed this to my former neighbor, who had a rather violently hostile reaction to it. I probably should have taken into account the fact that he had murdered a few people and was getting to an age where the afterlife was starting to look like reality.

• austinhamman says:

a nice article, highlights some of the issues against mother terresa (not administering medicine, advocating aginst condoms that would actually help the third world) as well as the insanity and grotesqueness of the concept of hell (that you would receive such a punishment, forever, for the slightest of trespasses)

2. Mark White says:

In what way is that funny – idiot

• Boundegar says:

You really wanna be the guy saying, “That’s not funny!” while guys like me snicker?

• Cave Johnson says:

Yeah! Murder jokes are funny! Right up until they desensitize people about victims of violence.
        Don’t support Violence Culture.

• Rezeya Montecore says:

Well, as a rule of thumb, if something elicits a knee-jerk reaction from a brittle dullard whose sensibilities have been offended, it’s probably funny.

Thank you for participating in this test. Humor confirmed.

3. hughstimson says:

I feel funny saying this, but this crosses the line for me.

Anyone else who aids the ultra-loathsome Syrian regime are necessarily a bunch of mindless jerks who should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes, as the saying goes.

But the fact that there is an actual possibility of them being put against a wall when the actual revolution comes makes it hard to laugh. Real violent murder of real people just isn’t hilarious.

• Sara Padilla says:

I have to wonder if the SEA are even in Syria.  The kind of doltish bravado that would bring you to hack The Onion’s twitter feed reeks of  safe distance from any actual danger.  Probably tweeting from some uni computer lab in the states.

• Boundegar says:

It would be a great deal less funny if the Onion staff were the ones executing them.

No, upon reflection, I take that back.

• IronEdithKidd says:

In this case, not finding humor in The Onion’s reply shouldn’t be an indicator of a stick up one’s ass.  It’s incredibly brutal on both sides of the conflict.  No matter who the eventual victor is, everybody loses.

4. Justin J. Snelgrove says:

I have to admit, I find a couple of those tweets funny. The Futurama meme one was a very nice touch.

5. Lurking_Grue says:

It’s so meta even this acronym.

6. Mordicai says:

I don’t even.  All I can do is marvel at how we definitely live in a cyberpunk dystopia.  Or cyber- at least…are we still punks?  I try to be, at least a little.

7. Aloisius says:

Wait, which side of this conflict are we on? The ruthless dictator with the chemical weapons or the hard-line Islamist rebels?

• Graceless says:

• V. says:

The Syrian people?

• John Ohno says:

Which ones? And, do they have a side?

Presumably, everybody’s core desire here is not to get killed. But, so far as I can tell, there’s very little likelihood of nobody getting killed, so our best case is that few people get killed. However, in all cases like these, we have several groups who would rather die in the process of maximizing the fatalities of some arbitrarily defined ‘other side’ than live with minimal opposing casualties. No active agent will be trying to hold the violent parties apart; both parties will claim the other as the aggressor. Typical primate hierarchy shit. Unless we can isolate a group advocating and practicing nonviolence, we’re just idolizing one side over another in a negative-sum game.

• V. says:

There’s a difference between being the agressor, and defending and fighting back. The rebels started out as a few nonviolent student protesters, but weren’t given the opportunity to remain so—nobody is in Syria. Your kind of nihilism doesn’t allow for one’s own defense as far as I can tell.

8. agonist says:

Since those people probably will die, this has to be the harshest burn of all time. Well done, Onion! A measured and devastating response.

9. ImmutableMichael says:

Arghhh… The recursion… It burns….

10. pjcamp says:

10 to 1 the Syrian Electronic Army hacks Boing Boing comments by tomorrow.

“Syrian Electronic Army” — does that not bring to mind the middle school adjunct of Anonymous? Great name for a band.

11. richard77 says:

As a retaliation, now all Syria has been disconnected from the Internet.

12. V. says:

I’m not sure I’d have deleted the Tweets. They’re kind of the ultimate fake news.

13. Replicant2019 says:

The SEA ventured into The Onion’s battlefield, not the other way around slash the Onion’s response, totally appropriate.