How much paper would it take to print out Wikipedia?

15 Responses to “How much paper would it take to print out Wikipedia?”

Actually, we at the Wikipedia 1.0 group are planning to produce a paper version of Wikipedia. However, the release should be considerably smaller than this graphic would indicate, because we plan to limit any general release to the more important topics only. We also plan to release topic-specific books taken from these lists, similar to the German Wikireaders.
    Martin Walker (User:Walkerma on Wikipedia)

2. Flying Squid says:

Okay, but how many cuneiform tablets would it take?

3. Eduardo Padoan says:

The “Wikipedia 1.0″ DVD should be put in a “Voyager 3″, with a note: “sorry for the lame disc we sent earlier”.

4. chelseaZ says:

I’ve been working on a “performance art” project: printing out wikipedia volumes and selling them door-to-door .

So thank you Nikola Smolenski! Now I can show my clients how much shelf space they’ll need.

Yes, but what percentage of those 750 volumes is inaccurate? Rather high, I’d guess. GIGO, folks.

CJ

6. Nikola says:

Just for the record, I don’t think that I am particulary intrepid, or indeed that intrepidness was needed to make that image. It’s just a moment of inspiration I had and I am glad that people like it. I wrote more about the image at Reddit: http://reddit.com/info/2jghi/comments/c2jisf

(On the other hand, if someone took a look at my Wikipedia contributions, well, perhaps that could be described as intrepid.)

7. Camille says:

Now we just need someone to try to print everything.

8. Jason says:

“Sponsored by HP” I bet an article about printing 300k pages is :-)

9. craniac says:

Is there a relatively painless way to get the wikipedia on my Ipod without having to replace the OS?

10. Rian Fike says:

The real question is…

How big would the fire get if we torched it immediately after it finished printing?

And how many marshmallows could be roasted?

For inherently electronic political writing try this profile of Rich Lowry. The linkage is extraordinary.

A Wikipedia admin has produced a humorous break-down of what would be on those pages here.

13. OM says:

…Now, ww’re just talking about articles, right? Not talk or admin pages, where easily thrice the number of pages are wasted with British teenagers posing as “admins” bully their way into keeping articles berift of useful information, right? If you included all that waste of bandwidth – as an appendix of sorts – then the question then becomes just how many rolls of toilet paper would be required to print it all.

As to whether the rolls are 1-ply or 2-ply, I’ll leave that as an extra credit question…:p

14. OM says:

…But do we *really* want some ET thousands of years in the future to find such a disk on a long-dead probe, only to find the blatherings of the likes of Sceptre, Matthew Fenton, Chris Griswold, and others of their ilk representing Humanity to the universe? We’d be better off sending Encyclopedia Dramatica.

[thinks]

…No, we’d be better off sending BoingBoing.

15. jredmond says:

That image is based on data from October 2006, when the English Wikipedia only had around 1.4M articles. We’re almost to two million now (per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Statistics).

[In these counts, the term "article" excludes redirects; pages outside the article namespace (like Talk: or User: pages); blanked articles; and articles without internal wikilinks.]