Giant web woven by a variety of spider families

14 Responses to “Giant web woven by a variety of spider families”

1. Teresa Nielsen Hayden/Moderator says:

Way cool. Completely creeped out. But way cool.

2. Alastair McDermott says:

Now we need a photographer to go up there at night and get some cool shots!

3. stevelew says:

It’s not as bad as it looks- of the seven families named in the linked Seattle Times article, only three build webs, 3 are cursorial hunters, and one (the pirate spiders) are obligate spider predators who hunt web-building spiders on their own webs.

In late summer/early fall one could easily collect 12 families of spiders from a clump of trees like that, ginormo spider condo or no.

I haven’t heard anything about ecologists observing the spiders’ behavior yet. When someone observes an orb-weaver and a funnel-weaver and a sac spider sharing prey- that’s when humanity is doomed.

4. aixwiz says:

…others working on the Web.

Would that be the World Wide Web?

Seriously, that is one web I wouldn’t want to be caught in!

That is making me think of the scariest part of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and how much I hate spiders. I actually gasped at the picture and backed away from my computer. Ick.

Are they telling us that we should put our differences behind us and unite?

or

“So long and thanks for all the flies…”

7. Nora Rocket says:

What we fear most has come to pass: The Spiders are working together. How long before they develop new technologies? How long can we be expected to hold out against United Spiders with Laser Eyes?!?!

8. slawkenbergius says:

Creepy. Reminds me of that bit in The Hobbit

Should link to a bigger photo:

9. Jennifer Emick says:

Cool…an arachnid art collective. :-)

10. EKSwitaj says:

Looks like they’re getting ready to take over the world. I hear that, in preparation for this day, they’ve been keeping track of who kills them and who doesn’t.

11. bloggo says:

Spiders of the world, UNITE!!

12. Stacyj says:

Man, I would -love- to see that (and wow, I had no idea that there were such things as pirate spidarrrrrs! The universe gets more delightful by the day!)

13. Heikki says:

Even more horrific webs, this time by caterpillars, were here in Sweden (scroll down for the most “awesome” pictures

14. klg19 says:

Working together? Great! I, for one, greet our new Arachnid Overlords.

Sigh.