Victoria Reynolds's meat paintings

15 Responses to “Victoria Reynolds's meat paintings”

1. Talia says:

The physiology of life is beautiful in those first few post-death moments. I imagine 24 hours from now that flesh won’t be quite so lovely, as all that’s good it in drains and dies, becomes nothing.

To me, the loss of life is the most significant thing about these pictures, the most impactful. I can’t help but wonder about the creature that spawned these images of flesh.

2. Takuan says:

The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover (1989), the scene where they must hide, naked, in a truck trailer full of dangling sides of rotting meat….

or the birth scene at the beginning of Perfume?

3. Agent 86 says:

Perfume… What a fitting beginning for such a gruesome end.

4. Robert says:

“Flight of the Reindeer”… just before the reindeer is hit by a car. Urgh, where’s my unicorn chaser?

5. Yhancik says:

http://scotteveringham.com/ also made some meat paintings, although i can’t find it back online (except on the splash page of his portfolio)

6. Tits McGee says:

The pimento loaf is breathtaking.

7. Jeff says:

Kinda beautiful. I thought it was a red cabbage leaf before I read the caption. An odd choice of subject matter unless you are illustrating a medical text, or decorating a butcher shoppe.

8. trimeta says:

Mmm…meat. These paintings are making me hungry.

Also, apparently she got high-quality meat to paint; this stuff is really well-marbled.

9. Johnny Coelacanth says:

That one above is too squicky for me. I don’t want to look at meat, I just want to eat it.

10. nandorocker says:

If anyone would like to read the interview mentioned in the blog entry (the site is currently down).

11. William Joseph Dunn says:

These are beautiful! I’ve done paintings of raw meat as well and I think if you look at even rotting meat objectively,the shapes and colors can be beautiful.

12. Sanjames says:

For some more raw meat, check out the photographs of Pinar Yolacan. She uses the flesh as garment elements. Really compelling images.

13. David Pescovitz says:

@NANDOROCKER (#4), Thanks for digging up that link!

14. Agent 86 says:

I have to admit “Flight of the Reindeer” is very good, but the rest just looks more like meat than art to me.

15. amyrussell says:

Reynold’s work made the cover of the first issue of Meatpaper (www.meatpaper.com) a magazine of meat-art (and other meaty stuff) I co-edit. Link to the Reynolds image is no longer online, but Issue Three comes out in a couple weeks.