Futuristic movie-prop bus from 1935

14 Responses to “Futuristic movie-prop bus from 1935”

1. univac says:

Wow!!
    As if Buckminster Fuller made a Dymaxion Bus!
    Definitely watch the YouTube vid of it. Gangsters kidnap the bus!

2. clockwork says:

why do set designers and magazine authors always assume that designers of the ‘future’ lose all sensibility and taste?

3. airship says:

The Big Bus is one of my favorite films nobody has ever heard of. It’s hilarious! Joseph Bologna and Stockard Channing star, but it’s got cameos from Ruth Gordon to Ned Beatty to Lynn Redgrave and more. Favorite line: “Eat one lousy foot and they call you a cannibal.”

4. MHotel says:

my favorite part of The Big Bus is where the stewardess calmly explains the complicated process of putting on the hazmat suit when the bus goes out of control.

for a silly movie it was unexpectedly good!

5. Santa's Knee says:

Wienermobile!

6. KingOfCats says:

That would make the best RV ever. When I have unlimited money I will find or recreate that bus, outfit it like one of those Marathon coaches, then spend years driving all over the continent.

7. Elysianartist says:

This reminds me of some old film from the 30′s. No idea what the name was, but the final scene had W.C.Fields sitting in an open air deck, caboose style at the back of an airplane.

8. Guairdean says:

This bus is from Stolen Harmony, made in 1935. I don’t remember Fields in this one, but I could easily have missed it or the bus could have been used in another production.

9. Strange Quark Star says:

Oh. My. God.

Just a few hours ago, I read Gibson’s The Gernsback Continuum which deals with exacltly this sort of design. There are even cars with fins mentioned.

That’s quite some coincidence.

10. ill lich says:

Anyone remember a 70′s “Airplane”-style parody film called “The Big Bus”? —Huge nuclear-powered passenger bus with swimming pool, bar, suites, etc. destined for “Poseidon Adventure”-type disaster on its non-stop cross country trip.

11. David Carroll says:

It’s kind of sad that thanks to CGI these kind of things would never be built today.

Of course there a still a wide variety of non-Hollywood craftsmen (craftspeople?) filling the void…

12. buddy66 says:

The bus will someday be rebuilt as a GASPUNK classic.

13. cndc says:

Great for cruising the interstate but I see urban pedestrian carnage due to the operator’s bubble.

14. se7a7n7 says:

Here’s a link to a YouTube clip from the movie