Umbrella massacre in Tokyo

14 Responses to “Umbrella massacre in Tokyo”

1. spokehedz says:

Umbrellas could so use a nice infusion of carbon-fiber. Imagine an umbrella that was 1/3 of the weight of a normal umbrella–and would lift you off the ground before it would flip inside out.

Now that’s an umbrella I would spend $200 on.

2. Antinous says:

My umbrella is strong enough to lift me. I don’t know what the ribs are made of, but it would take an F5 tornado to invert them.

3. M says:

A common sight that is also not surprising, since these umbrellas are mostly cheap, but quite often freely distributed…

4. paul m doherty says:

The Japanese find a lot of uses for broken umbrellas, one being development of cat villages.

5. ekricyote says:

And I was hoping for zombies to be mentioned somewhere in this…

6. Takuan says:

I wonder if these can take the wind

7. Antinous says:

Now that’s ninjutsu.

8. darrell says:

If you think this is bad I once witnessed a mountain of rusting bicycles on the streets of Hiroshima. If I can find the pic in my cell phone I’ll upload it.

9. Caaaaaam says:

This pile was also probably from the same windstorm:

10. yooper1019 says:

When I lived in Japan they had 100 Yen stores all over the place (equivalent to our dollar stores in the U.S.). Unless you knew it was going to rain most people didn’t carry one and would pop into a 100 Yen to buy one. EVERYBODY in Japan has an umbrella when its raining!

11. alisong76 says:

#2 – Indeed – a good ‘brelly blows inside out in a gust of wind just as easily as a cheap one.

12. noen says:

Spontaneous gorilla art installation piece?

13. David Pescovitz says:

Ha! It really made me recognize how umbrellas have become a disposable product (not necessarily a good thing). It seems kinda silly to buy a “quality” umbrella because you’d probably accidentally leave it somehwere. But the cheap street vendor umbrellas break too easily.

14. Antinous says:

I’ve had my umbrella since 1980, thank you very much. It cost about $200 and will probably outlast human civilization.