Scientific American: five 3D printers

13 Responses to “Scientific American: five 3D printers”

1. twig says:

Ok, awesome.

Candy Fab seems like it would have near-unlimited potential.

2. semiotix says:

Meh. Wake me when they have 4D printers. I’ve got this cool idea for a tesseract paperweight.

3. eustace says:

I have access to a knee mill, lathe, bandsaws, tooling etc. at work. So what am I going to build? A reprap, of course (the arduino version).

And once I have it – Custom Lego!!!

4. Zan says:

I wish they would stop with this “self-replicating” baloney. RepRap didn’t even come close to self replicating — it created the plastic braces needed to hold all the metal parts, motors, and electronics together on another RepRap. It wasn’t even close to 50% of the needed parts, and MUCH assembly was required. If you’re going by that definition, machine tools such as mills and lathes have been self-replicating for a hundred years.

5. Agent 86 says:

Heh, I watch a confectionery competition on the food network, where they make the most intricate sugar towers, and I always despair at the time and effort required… but this Candy Fab thing looks like it’ll do exactly what I want.

6. minTphresh says:

DNA spiral candy? sign me up!

7. pelrun says:

I wish people would stop bitching about Reprap’s “self-replication” moniker. Nobody said it implies “self-assembly”. Nobody said it was the absolute first thing to ever do it.

It’s a machine that has reached the goal of making the custom parts required for a second copy of itself. That’s all the reprap people mean when they say “self-replicating”.

8. Modusoperandi says:

The Candy Fab prints objects by fusing layers of sugar

Also, it has a disturbingly high number of users that resemble Augustus Gloop.

9. eustace says:

That’s a great instructable, Takuan.

10. Takuan says:

they’ve got a bunch of CNC machines of varying difficulty.

11. Antinous says:

Nobody said it implies “self-assembly”.

Yeah, don’t you know that humans aren’t self replicating because our young are not fully functional at birth? Clearly, nature didn’t read The Rules.

12. Takuan says:

just as well they can’t eat unaided for a while.