LED lighting system for bikes

15 Responses to “LED lighting system for bikes”

1. Randwulf says:

Pretty neat. I often find the ones with the built in hub generators at the thrift shops for $2 or $3 but haven’t done anything with the one I bought yet.

2. IWood says:

Related: if you like nifty glowing things on your bike, check out the Down Low Glow. I have the blue set for my recumbent trike and I am a small pedal-powered spaceship in the dark. (Yes, you can get CCF lights for far cheaper; this is a bike-specific package that, IMO, is worth it)

3. nina says:

…. greeeeat. Just in time for BurningHippie. Buy not only a brand new playa-bike, but fancypants decor for it, too! :/

4. jeffbell says:

Don’t forget the kit kit that’s been available for a couple years from Limor Fried at http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/

5. blackbrrrd says:

I concur with OM (#6) on the use of a system like this for safety. I bike to work daily. Visibility to motorists is paramount. I’ve got LED systems flashing all over, but THIS would really get a motorist’s attention. Nice work!!

6. minTphresh says:

but would having these lights on your bike make you more of a target for bicycle-hating po-lice?

7. brianeisley says:

Two words: Burning Man.

8. Takuan says:

nah, ya get the hypno-wheels

9. Aloisius says:

Personally I like the Speedblend tires from Rivbike as it is just paint and doesn’t add any weight.

I’ve seen some pretty impressive LED ones though. The best was probably an animated pacman chasing a ghost.

10. Colonist says:

I still like my programmable Hokey Spokes!

11. Art Carnage says:

> The MonkeyLectric LED light system, invented by
    > Instructables.com co-founder Dan Goldwater, turns
    > spinning bike wheels into a psychedelic experience.

Since when does building a copy of something that’s been around for years, equal “inventing”?

12. Tenn says:

I have a curious bicycle. It’s a shaft-driven bicycle. A rather large men’s version, actually, which my father got cheap for me when I was twelve. 28″. It was a riot to see me get on it when I was younger.

Pity that it’s broked, and because I don’t have the money to fix it, and certainly can’t modify the shaft-drive on my own (or modify the frame to accommodates a geared system,) I’m stuck walking.

But when I do get myself a chain-driven (ah, I miss thee) bicycle, or maybe a cute little electric bike, I’m looking forward to some psychadelix.

13. mlines says:

Samuel Beckett was into the bicycle, as a multivalent metaphor; see http://www.english.fsu.edu/jobs/num06/Num6Menzies.htm

14. aj says:

This has been available for a while from Hokey Spokes. Pretty nice to have in dark settings.

15. OM says:

…Screw the artistic angle. I could see these as popular as free joints if marketed for the safety aspects! But on the other hand, I could see something like this happening that would get them yanked off the market:

“George! Why are you pulling over?”

“Martha, there’s a cop with his lights flashing right behind me!”

“Oh, George! That’s just Dennis and his new bike!”

“New bike? Why that little…”

[Mr. Wilson slams on his brakes. Dennis goes through rear window of the car]