Hit indie game Braid goes DRM-free on the PC

10 Responses to “Hit indie game Braid goes DRM-free on the PC”

“Light and non-intrusive DRM” = “no DRM” now?

Let me just get these freedom-preserving handcuffs off, and we’ll talk.

Braid was and is $15 on the 360 in US. It saw a temporary price cut during the summer, then returned. People were complaining because it was among the most expensive XBLA games at the time; others have since hit the $20 mark.

Braid will also very likely be released on Steam, and also from another, as yet undisclosed download service.

The release date for PC isn’t fixed and may slip again; it formerly was 1Q 2009 (which, technically, March 31 still is, albeit the last day), by the end of 2008, by the end of 2007, and TBA during 1Q 2007.

3. Nixar says:

I just bought the awesome World of Goo because it was DRM-free AND had a Linux version. Do they plan a Linux version for Braid? I’d definitely buy it.

4. I Like Cake says:

‘”Light and non-intrusive DRM” = “no DRM” now?’

No, the Stardock version has no DRM whatsoever. Some other download services may include minimal DRM (i.e., no rootkits or other particularly nasty stuff) if they do so as a matter of course, but you still have the option of going DRM free if you purchase the game from Stardock.

5. niro5 says:

Okay, I’ll just get this out of the way…

Braid is the most beautiful and captivating game I have ever played. Get it now.

There, now we can get back to talking about how evil DRM is.

6. maxximoo says:

this is my favorite game of last year.

everyone needs to go get it.

7. rudegar says:

Does anyone know when the steampunk version come out?

8. David says:

Ooo, it was $20 yesterday. I think it was the equivalent of $10 on the Xbox. Regardless, I think I’ll get it.

Duh. The link says what I thought.

$20 put me off from getting it, but I think I’ll buy it now.

9. Matt Deckard says:

YES! I’ve been praying for this to happen ever since I first heard of the game. Now I know what I’ll be doing this weekend…

10. Matt Deckard says:

#2: I thought it was $20 on the 360… I remember people whining about it being too expensive.

I just went to download it and found it’s not out until the end of March. :-(