March is math holiday month, today is square root day!

22 Responses to “March is math holiday month, today is square root day!”

1. adamnvillani says:

#16: Are you trying to correct us? Yes, British usage differs from North American usage. “Maths” isn’t more correct, it’s just more British.

2. echonomist says:

As a devout Pythagorean, I don’t celebrate Pi day…

Square root day is fortunately valid for both sides of the Atlantic i.e m/d = d/m. But do the British and the Commonwealth celebrate Pi Day on the 31st of April?

And in Australia you can try rooting a square.

5. pAULbOWEN says:

#13 I can confirm that Pi Moment in the Commonwealth is at approximately .735 seconds before 2 a.m. on the 31st of April.

SLOOT: sorry if I’m being thick – I don’t understand how you get 3.14159265 out of that. Could you be bothered to explain?

6. Scary_UK says:

Maths is correct, it’s a plural.

You don’t study ‘mathematic’ at school do you?

7. dculberson says:

“Remember to get you fill though since the next time you can celebrate is April 4th 2016.”

Reading comprehension is fun.

8. arkizzle says:

Colloquialisation fight!

9. sloot says:

Pi day bugs me. Pi moment should be on March 4th at 9:20:41.76337 am.

(.14 of March is not March 14th)

Haha, loving the square root photo.

11. adamnvillani says:

Do Brits only play one “sport?” Where did you subjects of the Queen find an “f” in the word “lieutenant?” And what’s up with BBC newsreaders saying “negociate?” Don’t try to make sense of the language; it is what it is. Neither one of us pronounces the k nor the e in the word knife. But mathematics shortens to “math” in North America and to “maths” in Britain. Neither one is more correct than the other.

I thought we had settled the issue of you redcoats having any dominion over us in 1783. (I know you didn’t get the message and we had to make you realize it for good 20 years later.)

12. adamnvillani says:

Dang… that should read “30 years later.” Math FAIL on my part.

13. infinity says:

um. so in 2010, we celebrate square root day in the month sqrt(2) * sqrt(5) and the day sqrt(2) * sqrt(5)?

or do we only celebrate square root day in years whose last two digits are the squares of integers (like ’01, ’04, ’09, ’16, ’25, ’36, ’49, ’64 and ’81)?

and what is month 0 if we’re going to celebrate it in ’00?

14. Narual says:

Hey… that looks like a tree at the Vieques (a small island off the coast of Puerto Rico) airport:

15. Scary_UK says:

Maths

16. Tenn says:

For three years, on the fourteenth, I spent my neurotic math teacher’s class deriving Pi, doing various excessively complicated formulas with Pi, etc etc.

Thank FSM I don’t have him this year. Yay square root photo!

17. The Unusual Suspect says:

Infinity, your angle is right — you’ve cornered Cory, and proven that this post is strictly Squaresville. Four points to you, sir!

18. KWillets says:

There was another square root day 6 days ago and you missed it.

19. Andrew Denny says:

Did you know that this week is ‘National Pie Week’ in the UK?

It’s a silly PR invention, but I wonder if they heard of Pi day thought ‘I’ll have a whole week of pie’!

20. Caroline says:

@4: And in Soviet Russia, square roots you?

Don’t forget Alexander Grothendieck’s birthday on March 28th.

22. cathodexray says:

also: TODAY is the beginning of World Math Day, where students around the world compete with one another.

link to world math day homepage

thanks for pointing out these important holidays! my students (i’m a math teacher) always participate in some activity for these days, and it brings out their inner nerd. they’re writing math songs right now, and researching female mathematicians for women’s history month (which is also march!).

and don’t forget the lesser pi day, pi approximation day, every year on 07/22. start planning your events now!