Twisted-wire junk-sculpture automata from Zimbabwe

12 Responses to “Twisted-wire junk-sculpture automata from Zimbabwe”

1. dougrogers says:

Points a and c are the bane of the arts everywhere.

2. zish says:

Breathtaking.

3. EeyoreX says:

I don’t see how point D would “give him a difficult time…”

4. strix99 says:

I saw this guy in in the Borrowdale Village parking lot (shown in picture) a few months ago. He does an awesome little show and has a great message about condoms and safe sex.

Recommend it to anyone passing through.

Google Maps Link:

5. zloo says:

godfather: i think technological cultures get pretty superstitious too.

it’s not like Reason rules in the “First World”..

6. oldtaku says:

I would definitely buy this for 100 Trillion Zimdollars.

7. WombatSam says:

I grew up in Zimbabwe. There’s a rich tradition of making wire automata, particularly “remote control” cars and trucks, which are pushed along by a stiff wire with a steering wheel at the end. The wire leads into a steering mechanism within the car, so turning the steering wheel will angle the wheels on the car.

One of my proudest possessions was a wire articulated lorry like this. I bought it for a ten whole Zimbabwe dollars.

8. StrawberryFrog says:

@WombatSam Yep, you see the same thing in South Africa too. It looks like this guy takes it to a whole new level though.

9. stuckinkiel says:

A worthy cause if ever I saw one.

10. godfathersoul says:

“Locals are spooked by his “Global Village”” – Superstition as has stunted many a great artist/movement… Funny how the less technological a culture, the more superstitious it is. Or, wait, maybe that’s not so funny.

Anyhow, At firs I thought this was going to devolve into some sort ot lookit-this-afrian-steampunk-dude. But it didn’t and, in fact, is really sorta cool. Art. I love art.

11. BoulderPhil says:

@oldtaku… I’ll outbid you. Five US Dollars!

12. godfathersoul says:

ZLOO: this is very true and I thought that after i typed it.

As an artist myself: here is an interesting (but hopefully short) story:
    I live in San Diego. The Chopra Center in Carlsbad (yes the same Chopra) contacted me and wanted to hang and sell my work. OK. Cool. I have a contract that I have people who display my work sign as I need to protect myself against loss/damage/theft, etc. (having had theft come up in the past…) It’s a very simple document. So i say: i need you to sign this contract saying you take responsibility for it and, if it goes missing, you’ll reimburse me for it. Good ‘nuf and if they say no then they say no.

But they say: well, we fully take responsibility but won’t sign the contract cause we feel we will be “manifesting” it’s loss. So we FULLY take responsibility but won’t sign our names to it.

Um.

So I said no thanks. But the fact is: they were all sorts of superstitious about a contract. By the same token, it’s as if by having car insurance i’m attracting an accident.

New Age Superstitious Freaks!

So, yes, I agree – as long as simple minded folks don’t die out, neither will superstition and so innovators like this fellow are stuck thinking “goddamn it’s hard to be intelligent in this world!”