Family of Crawdaddy's Paul Williams needs help

18 Responses to “Family of Crawdaddy's Paul Williams needs help”

1. ophite says:

Not to derail, but I don’t get how this is possible. I’ve never heard anything even theorizing that it can be caused by trauma. Are they just saying “Alzheimer’s” as a catch-all phrase for brain dysfunction?

There’s essentially a system-wide “maximum damage load” that the brain can sustain. Most of us slowly pick up brain damage. People with brain injuries — even if those brain injuries have very little early effect — have made a substantial contribution to that damage load very early. Consequently, rates of dementia amongst people who have had tumors, surgery, head injuries, etc., are much, much higher than those amongst people that have not.

2. mcdracula2000 says:

It’s amazing how many people got their start with Paul Williams. Patti Smith and Albert Bouchard (Blue Oyster Cult’s original drummer) both wrote reviews for Crawdaddy before their musical careers took off.

3. propeller says:

This guy is SEMINALLY profound.

4. TheCrawNotTheCraw says:

It would be “nice” if some of the people who made significant profits from Philip K. Dick-inspired movies stepped-ip-to-the-plate and made significant donations.

While I don’t want to “pick” on anybody, Harrison Ford made a great movie in “Blade Runner,” Mr. Ford has had a *very* successful career, and I doubt if he would even *notice* if he had $1 Million less in his bank accounts.

How about it, Mr. Ford? I’m not trying to put you on the spot, but it would be very generous of you to help-out here.

5. Gunn says:

Thank you, Kathryn! Looks better.

6. bartoncasey says:

“suffered a traumatic brain injury, which has led to early onset Alzheimer’s”

7. Kathryn Cramer says:

I have spent some time on the Wikipedia entry this morning. It still needs more work.

8. Rich Shupe says:

Done and done. Paul and his family really deserve this.

9. mego says:

I’m with #3 up there. Instead of these famous people writing testimonials for the guy how about they kick down some money for him instead.

10. Rezpect says:

Thanks for posting this story about Paul and Cindy. I will repost it on my website later.

11. mego says:

Well #9, I would imagine Peter Buck by himself could drop enough money himself to make this plea for money not be needed.

Since the money is still being asked for that would indicate he didn’t.

12. Zed says:

Paul Williams has also been editing the complete collected Stories of Theodore Sturgeon, another invaluable contribution to the sf world.

The linked page refers to “early onset of dementia”, not to Alzheimer’s (as the quoted passage says.) “dementia” isn’t a very specific term, and can have lots of causes other than Alzheimer’s.

13. minTphresh says:

anyone who loved music and pkd as much as me ( i own his bio, and many pkd books which he wrote the forword) deserves to have some comfort in his final days. check your paypal acct., mrs. williams. hopefully this twenty bucks will help out a little.

14. Kathryn Cramer says:

#4 Barton Casey: “but I don’t get how this is possible”

After the bike accident, Paul (who is one of my husband’s closest friends) had a fist-sized chunk of his brain removed. He functioned remarkably well without it for a few years, and then began to deteriorate.

Our family have visited Paul and family a few times in the past few years. The state Paul is in requires full-time care. He’s still in there, but taking care of him be herself is a lot more than Cindy can manage at this point.

15. Gunn says:

Paul’s incredible combination of energy and intelligence and good will has enriched the lives and minds of *generations* of people interested in music and science-fiction and the expansion of human consciousness.

I bought a mimeographed copy of Crawdaddy in Harvard Square in 1966, and reading it (and subsequent issues) taught me to think differently, to extend the techniques of intellectual exploration outside the academic and apply them to my life, and to use the word “dichotomy” in a sentence. (Hey, it’s a useful word.) Paul’s critical interpretive work on Bob Dylan, which started then and continued for thirty years, is a remarkable body of essays and books all by itself, and it’s only a small part of what Paul has done in his life.

He hasn’t raked in the big bucks, and his Wikipedia entry could certainly use an updating, as it is only the barest outline of his life:

His devastating accident robbed his family and it robbed us all. Please donate to help Cindy and Alexander care for him.

16. JL says:

Pardon me, #5, for even troubling to take offense at what is surely just a few keystrokes worth of rote, insensitive sniping on your part, but what on *earth* makes you think it’s right to assume they aren’t?

I fell off my bike and bounced my head off the pavement last week (stupidly not wearing a helmet), scary to realize that such a seemingly short fall to the ground can lead to this kind of trauma.

18. SugarFree says:

In 1993 my (future) wife was trying to track down a full set of the defunct PKD newsletter for me as a Christmas present. On a lark and with the confidence of an 18-year-old, she called Paul Williams directly at his house and asked if he was still selling sets of the newsletter. He was incredibly gracious and kind to her. They talked together as he took his cordless phone out to his garage and opened boxes looking for a set of the newsletter. They talked for almost a half-hour until he finally found one. They exchanged information and she gave me the newsletters for Christmas along with this charming story.

He was kind to over-enthusiastic teenagers from Kentucky.

I hope my donation helps.