Sci-fi couture on the runway

10 Responses to “Sci-fi couture on the runway”

1. Daemon says:

Gautier usually slips in at least one or two sci-fi-ish pieces into a season’s work… there’s a reason he was chosen as the designer for 5th Element. It’s pretty much ther reason why I make a point of checking out his couture line at least once a year.

2. octopussoup says:

I hate this fashion stuff. It just seems like a mix between trying to be as weird as possible and wasting money. I’ve heard that they only use one part of the design in making actual clothes but I’ve never seen anyone wear anything like any runway show since maybe the 1950′s.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

How depressing for you. I, on the other hand, have seen plenty of outré outfits.

3. jackie31337 says:

I came here to say that Jean Paul Gaultier designed the costumes for Fifth Element, but Utopiana@€ and Daemon @8 beat me to it. Sci-fi futuristic is kind of his trademark style.

How bizarre! I guess the theory is that women in the future will be emaciated from global famine.

5. Utopiana says:

Anybody seen The Fifth Element? Gaultier was all up in that. Sci-fi’s not new to him. Besides, if you’re Jean Paul, you can pretty much do anything you want, fashion-wise.

GPG has become so old hat that he’s now plagiarizing his own old work. His work for Maddona that put him on the fashion map in the 80′s (I,E., the iconic cone bra)were near identical copies of Vivienne Westwood’s work from the 70′s. An opportunist that takes advantage of the short attention span of the industry. Not an innovator…

7. Strange Quark Star says:

Yes! They finally did Pris’ airbrush makeup! Picture 20.
    This is actually the first time I really paid close attention to a fashion show, and I’m quite fascinated.

8. aguafruta says:

and a LOT Barbarella!

9. nutmeag says:

Not as neat as some sci-fashion I’ve seen, but still interesting.

I thought io9 has a cool commentary on the current state of sci-fashion. http://io9.com/5306350/fashion-loves-scifi-but-scifi-hates-fashion