Mark Dery: My Roman Holiday

18 Responses to “Mark Dery: My Roman Holiday”

1. M. Dery says:

Why, oh why, doesn’t the bb comment system enable us to edit our comments?
    Typos:
    “Big Bill Nericcio, my post-colonial homeboy (whatever means from San Diego, the low-riding Derrida of border culture! Thanks for the props.”
    SHOULD READ
    Big Bill Nericcio, my post-colonial homeboy (whatever THAT means) from San Diego, the low-riding Derrida of border culture! Thanks for the props.
    AND
    “cheek-by-jowl freaks of nature”
    SHOULD READ
    cheek-by-jowl WITH freaks of nature

[[groan]]

2. ale2000 says:

Oh, to be able to follow you in the Florentine part of your trip would be such an amazing dream…
    Being a Florentine myself, I’ve never been able to get into the Careggi museum, so I will follow your posts.

…and should you need company in Firenze, for a dinner or whatever… just make a sign ;)

3. wolfiesma says:

Welcome to our edit-free world, M.Dery. :)

By ALL means (and I mean it) go visit the chapel of “prince” Raimondo di Sangro in Napoli too! Everyone knows it through its two pre-plastination models of circulatory systems exquisitely built over actual skeletons (held in closets, of course!), but the place also holds many even more wonderful secrets. Just one of them: transparent veils made of marble over marble statues, leading di Sangro to one of his many trials for witchcraft…

5. insomma says:

I just went to the Palazzo Poggi in Bologna for the first time a few weeks ago. You’re going to LOVE it.

6. electrobrain says:

Excellent timing! I’ve never been to Rome, but I’m moving there in a week to go to school. I’ll be following your posts closely. Safe travels!

7. Tdawwg says:

It looks like your image is broken?

8. Rasselas says:

For BB’s next guest blogger, could they select someone who doesn’t share the modern obsession with sharing his thoughts on food and drink? It’s like the world has been taken over by food critics.

9. Takuan says:

I like food. AND drink.

10. Tdawwg says:

Not all Wunderkammern were random jumbles of stuff: many were, in your words, “dilligently taxonomized.” Sure, there were often fantastic, fake, etc., objects cheek-by-jowl with the real, but more often than not objects were grouped together to facilitate viewing and discussion: medals with medals, shells with shells, etc. BoingBoing is much more random than your average Wunderkammer.

The whole pre-post Enlightenment “paradigm shift” is a little too Foucault, BTW. I’m sure you know that the process was much messier and less defined than a two-centuries-later construction like “paradigm shift” would allow. There’s been a paradigm shift away from the model of the paradigm shift, if you will…. :)

Oh, and I’m so so sorry I was a major dick when you posted here last in re: Pyrotechnic Insanitarium. Your responses gave me a whole lot to think about: about my own work, about blogging, etc. I’m glad to see you back on BoingBoing.

11. senorglory says:

although I’ve always enjoyed food, it wasn’t until I went to Italy that I really learned to eat.

12. RevelryByNight says:

Oooh, now this is a guest blogger I can really gel with.

Can’t wait to read about your lovely grotesquerie!

13. Avram / Moderator says:

Rasselas @2, are you a breatharian?

I’ve always envied those that can get paid to take their vacations!

Given that I’m probably never going to really travel again, I look forward to this almost as much as I would that QuicktimeVR point & click world tour that’s long overdue!

- GimpWii

Also, a minor point. (If I read this correctly) Linneaus certainly had no intention of “de-sacralizing” nature when he created his system of organization. He did it expressly to glorify and exalt the complexity of God’s Creation. It wasn’t until biologists (Darwin and others) used his system of organization to come up with an alternative (and secular) hypothesis that it was seen in this light.

I do believe that science historians properly classify this as a paradigm shift (or creation). At least in the classic understanding of “paradigms” and how they shift.

Dery! felicidades–i was just running around Italy three weeks ago; I look forward to your riffs off of what you dig up! ciao!

Nericcio

17. M. Dery says:

@9: Many thanks for the suggestion, which I’ll tuck in my mental file for future use, since my posts about my Grand Tour are, er, posthumous. In other words, I’m back from Italy, recollecting in tranquility for your delectation.
    @10: I appreciate your nuancing of this point. In fact, my point parallels yours in the sense that I was suggesting that Linnean taxonomy opened the door to the de-sacralization (Eliade’s term, not mine) of Western epistemology, a cultural plate-tectonic shift very much associated, in the popular mind, with Darwin. You’re right to point out Linneas’s motivations; my point had more to do with the cultural developments that sprang from his innovation than it did the impulses behind that innovation. Do I make sense?
    @4: Regarding the alleged dickheadedness, I gave as good as I got, I thought. In any event, abjection sustained; go, and sin no more. As for the organizational paradigm that structured most wunderkammer, I’m afraid I can’t agree. My readings have led me to believe that most curiosity cabinets were natural-history mash-ups, with the 16th and 17th century equivalent of the Fijee mermaid sitting cheek-by-jowl freaks of nature and archaeological artifacts and gemstones and the like—Pliny, as remixed by DJ Girltalk. I’d be curious to know what your sources are.

If you get your backside to Bologna, try not to get hit by a bus as you stare up at the two wacky leaning towers!!!! I almost pulled a Roland Barthes whilst craning my neck for a better view! Bill Nericcio en califas!