Pics from a beauty pageant in a Russian women's prison

27 Responses to “Pics from a beauty pageant in a Russian women's prison”

1. Francesco Fondi says:

Side note: Zaeega is a really popular subculture blog in Japan and is considered the Japanese BOING BOING even tough the blog is totally NSFW.

The headline illustration is drawed by Grape Brain: an ex-member of FURI FURI (one of the most famous toys design collective from Harajuku).

2. PrincessGuido says:

Asked my Russian husband if he could tell what this is.

His response (quote) –
    god only knows
    someone dumped a bunch of photos under the heading
    “How women spend time in prison”

So there you go.

@ Sabik # 19,

That rule doesn’t always hold true. In particular, voiced “V” doesn’t change the sounds that precede it. That’s why words like “SVET” aren’t pronounced “ZVET.”

#8: I agree. One of the signs has a giant S on it, which doesn’t exist in the Russian alphabet. Some Eastern European women are outrageously beautiful, though, so I’m not really surprised this goes on.

5. Starbug says:

Anyone have a guess as to what that thing next to the runway in the first picture is? My first thought was, what’s that small monkey with a crow’s head doing there?

6. mwilliamrice says:

I’m not gonna lie, that’s kinda hot.

7. Brainspore says:

You definitely don’t want to be the “winner” of the beauty pageant at the men’s prison.

8. bbonyx says:

@#1 – That’s caged heat, buddy!

9. nyar says:

That is awesome. And some of those are very good looking ladies. At least they have something to do and they are not consumed by boredom. Very important ingredient in reforming an immate.

It’s kind of interesting how simply making a statement about the photos creates the illusion of a unified meaning for them. Suppose instead of saying this was a collection of photos of women at a beauty pageant in a Russian prison, we were to say it was a collection of photos showing “women around the world who have been inspired to emulate Sarah Palin”?

11. Michael Fredric says:

Why am I unable to avoid remembering that old TV ad?

Evening Vear!

Svim Vear!

There’s a very good short documentary called “La Corona” that covers the same sort of beauty pageant in Bogota, Colombia. It was nominated for the 2007 Academy Award® for Best Documentary Short Subject. I think it’s only available in the US through HBO.

13. Maneki Nico says:

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out /
    They leave the West behind /
    And Moscow girls make me sing and shout /
    That Georgia’s always on my my my my my my my my my mind

I may be mistaken, but it looks like the photos are a mixture of various places, since a few look like they are from Peru (at least the flags on some of the security uniforms look like the Peruvian flag, and the ethnic diversity in those pictures remind me of Peru).

15. piecar says:

kudos for finding something this great. I wonder what the story is all about.

Most of the pics are not from Russia at all. Trust me, I’m russian

17. Darren Garrison says:

#5 I was just searching down that very ad. :-)

the pictures are from various pageants to include russia, possibly peru, and colombia.

I’d rather be in prison than have to use one of those Fender portable PA systems seen in pic 14.

Terrible, just terrible equipment.

20. Bill Albertson says:

@#2, after going through the Russian website, I wouldn’t want to be one of the winners of the women’s pageant either, considering what their audience looked like.

21. Miss Jess says:

@ #5, YES. The word “swimwear” has been and forever will be pronounced with a v in my family. When I was accepted to fashion school my dad paraded around the house crowing: “DayVEAR, EVENINKVEAR, SVIMvear!”

No this is Russia. Remember that the russian flag is red, white and blue. Russia is a very diverse country. This is about Russia not Peru, Mexico or whatever.

…love how someone tied a bunch of unrelated pics together and tricked us for a minute.

–Weston Oslo

24. sabik says:

@Miss Jess #17

EVENINKVEAR

Actually, that would be EVENINGVEAR. At the end of a word and before unvoiced consonants, G becomes K; before voiced consonants such as V, K becomes G.

:-)

25. Chinny Racoon says:

@#4. Try telling that to most of the UK press.

If it’s in Russia, why are the sashes written in latin letters and not cyrillic?