This Side of Jordan - Violent jazz age novel by Charles M Schulz's son Monte

9 Responses to “This Side of Jordan - Violent jazz age novel by Charles M Schulz's son Monte”

1. DOuG pRATt says:

Monte’s first novel, “Down by the River,” has a character named Jane Crockett who is very likeable — and sexy in a free-spirited, non-sleazy way.

I wouldn’t say that “This Side of Jordan” has a character comparable to Jane, but being memorable is as good as being likeable.

2. Little John says:

Cory or Admins: Still (at least) two occurrences of Shulz to be changed to Schulz.

3. Antinous / Moderator says:

Done.

4. Avram / Moderator says:

It’s not just you, Dewi, but it’s also not everybody. I know a lot of people who can’t read a book that doesn’t have at least one character in it that they like, but I myself am perfectly capable of enjoying a book full o’ bastards.

• Dewi Morgan says:

Doesn’t need to be a *like*. Just an *empathise with*. I guess in my mind, “being able to relate to someone” is a prerequisite for “being at all interested in them”. This, to me, feels like a brokenness: I should have at least some interest even in people I cannot relate to. I shall have to probe this further, possibly with the aid of this book.

5. Darwindr says:

Everything but the time period sounds a lot like Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian. A horrifying storyline that is so well written I couldn’t stop reading. I love McCarthy, but I need to take long breaks between his books.

6. jetfx says:

The cover of this book heavily reminds me of Jason Lutes’ “Berlin Trilogy”, which is a graphic novel set in late Wiemar Republic Germany. It’s got a diverse cast of characters – rich, poor, artists, intellectuals, workers, Communists, Nazis, Jews and even a black American jazz band make an appearance. It captures the social, economic and political fragmentation of the inter war period – the disappearance of “traditional” morality, the cultural ferment, the extremist politics and the economic depression.

I think you’d really like it Cory, if you haven’t already read it.

7. Dewi Morgan says:

“most of the dramatic tension came from waiting for someone who wasn’t an utter fool or villain to do something, anything, to change the situation.” – maybe it’s just me, but without at least one empathic character, there’s no empathy; hence no stake in the outcome of the story. I’ve yet to find a story like this that I enjoyed.

Still: I generally like Corey’s picks, so if I see this book, I’ll pick it up anyhow, just to see if I can be converted :)