17 Responses to “Dead Fish and Gluttony: Why Too Much of a Good Thing is Threatening the Gulf Ecosystem”

In the meantime, why don’t we chum the hypoxia-stricken fish and feed it back to the corn fields. Wasn’t that part of the original Thanksgiving myth? Native Americans teaching our puritan forebears the wonders of compost fertilization?

Jell-O salad :o/ is that a sweet or savoury thing, my British brain cant get my head around the concept! Also… whats wrong with sweet potatoes – they are full of vitamins and fibre – or did you mean the Grammy Althea recipe? Joe.

3. Moriarty says:

“maybe not the sweet potatoes”

Actually, sweet potatoes are ridiculously good for you, packed with vitamins and protein. Better than all the other stuff you listed. (Though maybe not loaded with butter and added sugar.)

• Joseph93 says:

Good call Moriarty, i posted something v similar but forgot my password. Can someone tell me what a Jell-O salad is… we dont have such things here in UK – are they sweet or savoury?

• Maggie Koerth-Baker says:

They are sweet. Baker Jell-O Salad consists of lime Jell-O mixed with whipped cream, pears and walnuts. Then you chill it again so it’s kind of a semi-solid, fluffy thing.

The “salad” part is sort of a misnomer.

And I know sweet potatoes are generally health. Just, you know, not the way my family does them for Thanksgiving. ;)

• Joseph93 says:

Oh i see… like a fruit jelly mousse – my mum used to make jell-o mousse by mixing jell-o with evaporated milk… i wonder if thsts similar to your salad?

4. Roach says:

There is something funny about someone named Rabalais doing a bit on fish gluttony.

5. ArgotMay says:

Sad to imagine how many folks who are commenting like this will be asked by their grandchildren if they did anything to help or at least said anything to help. Will they lie? Will they say they are sorry? The grand children won’t be laughing.

6. EffigyOfFaith says:

My county in Indiana recently bought a corridor along the Wabash, to leave wild. This will provide a buffer to absorb nutrients from farm runoff before they can enter the river.

N.B.: the Mississippi Delta is not where the Mississippi meets the Gulf of Mexico. It is upriver, in the state of Mississippi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Delta

8. mr_subjunctive says:

It’s the Circle of Death. And it doesn’t make a great musical number.

Oh, come on. Anything can be a great musical number, in the right hands.

Though I suspect some of the comments are being contrarian just to appear to be clever and cute I’ll bite…

The effect the algae are having isn’t some evolutionary trait, it is an inadvertent byproduct of their numbers. They grow to the point that they block out growth of plants below them (that aren’t in competition). When they die their matter decays and consumes dissolved oxygen further worsening conditions.

10. dainel says:

Why focus on the fish? The nitrogen and phosphorus do not feed the fish. They feed the algae that gets eaten by the fish.

To the algae, this is a good thing. When their numbers gets high enough, it kills all those big bad fish that preys on them. Even if they don’t have a brain, I can’t imagine they’d prefer to have the fish eat them. They probably like the fact that all fish are dead.

• Anonymous says:

They definitely like it in an evolutionary sense. Some algae take energy away from growing and spreading to produce compounds that suppress competition and kill predators. I would guess this includes most types that form blooms, since otherwise you’d expect a bloom to be a mix of many algae taking advantage of good conditions, and it’s usually only one species.

• Anonymous says:

Good call. I find that most reports on the global nitrogen pollution issue to be decidedly pro-vertibrate.

11. strangefriend says:

From the wonder of Wikipedia:

Where I come from Jell-o salad is usually lime, cherry, or lemon jello with a can of mixed fruit & chopped pecans mixed into it.