Dane who ripped his DVDs demands to be arrested under DRM law

24 Responses to “Dane who ripped his DVDs demands to be arrested under DRM law”

1) users have right to make personal copy

AND

2) users cannot legally copy because of blocks

IMPLIES

The blocks are illegal. And companies are outlaw!!!!

This is logic And it is Soooooo simple :)

Any impediment to a user right is illegal, by definition of “right”. If I have the right to do it, and you stop me, it is a violation to my right.

The funny thing is that it was not so, before the majors had the DRM law approved. I could legally, with some skill and effort, make personal copies, so their blocks were still almost legal. But now, with their fantastic DRM law thew wanted so bad, copy protections become illegal and THEY (the majors) should be prosecuted.

@lovemycoffeehouse

The only problem with protesting by breaking the law, especially on the courthouse steps, is how violently the police tend to respond. I’ve watched countless videos of the results of such protests. Maybe you can argue that the protests worked to raise awareness since so many people will be stirred up by the videos of police beating the protesters with batons, shooting them with stun guns and bullets, and arresting as many of them as possible.

Sadly, these things don’t normally end well. I’m not saying we shouldn’t stand up for things we believe in. I’m just appreciating how brave you have to be and mentioning that you should keep in mind that while you’re protesting by bending or breaking the rules, the police might also bend or break the rules they’re supposed to follow in response. It may not have a storybook ending.

3. not_kevitivity says:

I have a new hero! Props to Henrik for taking this up. Hopefully he gets his trial and it’s more fun to follow that the PirateBay one.

4. zikman says:

wait a minute… what if he ends up getting fined for all that? what does this prove?

• Anonymous says:

If he gets fined, I will help him pay the fines.

In fact, I predict a paypal account will be set up within four hours of his conviction, and the money it will garner will so far outstrip his fines that this Danish fellow will be able to use the remaining money to do even more good!

• The Chemist says:

It proves how stupid the law is, and practically necessitates it be overturned legislatively. I have no doubt that the man has discussed this possibility with his lawyers. I doubt it would come to that. IANAL and I know nothing about the Danish legal system, but here in the US it would at least compel the courts to clarify interpretation of the law- since there is an obvious contradiction.

5. candido2k says:

There’s the same law in Italy, so maybe we’ll know how to deal with it too.

Most of this conflict boils down to Hollywood vs. everyone else.

Danish law is probably based in technological history and fact — combined with consumer rights vs. (mostly foreign) producer rights.

After all, why should any country’s government prioritise Hollywood’s agenda over that of their own voters unless they receive massive bribes to subsidise them after they’re voted out of office?

I love how none of the entities in the know about this have filed charges against him – they’re like “you can’t do that, you probably know that, but we ain’t touching this problem with at ten-foot pole!”

Also Antipiratgruppen knows it’s basically impossible to prove wrong-doing in these cases; I’m really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

On behalf of the Pirate Party of Canada, I would like to announce that we are 100% behind this individual, and hope that this will be the first of many cases, in which DRM and IP laws are found to be as pointless and idiotic as we all know them to be.

Jake Daynes
    Leader of the Pirate Party of Canada
    Chef du Parti Pirate du Canada

9. pewma says:

I’ve had an idea for a while… What would happen if everyone who has ever ripped a DVD or broken any sort of DRM came forward and turned themselves in at the same time. How would the law makers handle it?

10. andygates says:

Ah, but he’s not just breaking a law to show that he disagrees with it. He’s showing that the law is paradoxical: he can take backups legally but not without breaking DRM illegally. What’s a guy to do? One of the two laws has to give, and he’s shoving *that* in the spotlight.

well, actually it’s stupid.

the law to make private backups existed before DRM, let’s say to make backups of your music cassettes. Now DRM exists, so you may make backups of anything, as long as you don’t break any other laws, so yes, making backups of DVD’s is tricky, without breaking the law.

let me rephrase:

yes, it’s legal to drive a car, but it’s not legal to drive it faster than the signs allow…. so how am i gonna drive my car, without driving too fast? we’ll learn to read the signs and use the breaks or don’t drive at all.

yes, it’s legal to have a picasso in your living room, but you cannot go stealing it so you can after that legally have it hanging in your living room….

I bet there are some better examples…

• Anonymous says:

Actually it’s not like that at all since in this case you cannot actually do A to any degree without violating B. With the car you can do A (drive) to a degree without being in violation of b (speed limits). Now if it were you have the right to drive but it is illegal to turn on your car then we’re in the same situation here.

well – according to Danish law (as interpreted in accrodance with Scandinavian rulings on a similar issue) you are entitled to rip dvd’s – including overriding content protection – if it is “necessary” for you to view the content.

I am assuming that it is not necessary for Henrik to rip the dvd’s – he could actually just pop it in the computer and view it from the disc rather than watching a digital/ripped copy.

thats why Henriks actions are illegal in theory and according to current case-law.

However – these rules are inconsistent and ridiculusly worded. Why are you able to circumvent content protection if you don’t have the opportunity to watch directly from the disc (or bought your disc in the US in which you have to circumvent the regional protection)? it’s a stupid and illogical rule – but nonetheless the current state of the law.

what Henrik doesn’t realize is that it’s not a criminal offence to rip 100 DVD’s. Even if they wanted to – the police can do nothing about it. he will never get his day in court and – frankly – he should stop pissing away taxpayer money by bothering the police with this kind of crap. Write a letter to the ministry of culture and hope they will react. …and get a life…

13. seafishingtackle says:

It really shows how stupid the law is, and practically necessitates it be overturned legislatively. I can understand from the article that the man ha discussed this possibility with his lawyers. I doubt it would come to that. IANAL and I know nothing about the Danish legal system, but in the US it would at least compel the courts to clarify interpretation of the law- since there is an obvious contradiction

14. AGC says:

Would he be allowed to copy the movie by pointing his digital camera at the monitor/screen and taping it that way? Seems like a primitive way to go about things.

• Anonymous says:

Would it be any different if I ripped my vinyl LPs to my computer as opposed to downloading those same songs from Limewire?

15. Ian70 says:

And the award for Biggest Balls Of the Month goes to….
    that guy.

16. Daemon says:

Henrik, sir… I salute you.

17. angusm says:

Stop me before I rip again!

18. bluemadonna says:

Now this– this is the way to protest. Looking at people marching on the street, there is always something missing. If you want results, put your money where your mouth is.

Bravo. I look forward to updates.

Excellent! What a great Dane.