Listen up, little ladies!

16 Responses to “Listen up, little ladies!”

So many girls are talked out of fields they are interested in — by teachers and counsellors, no less! When I was good at math, it was weird because I was a girl. When I was interested in computers, girls didn’t do that. When I wanted to become an auto mechanic in my early twenties, exasperated menfolk asked “Why are you only interested in men’s jobs?”

I’m under 40, too. The point is not to push the issue, but to make the girl already inclined to math or science resistant to the old man telling her she should limit herself ‘realistically’ — that’s his problem, and shouldn’t be hers.

We like to hope we’re beyond the need for this sort of cheerleading, and we keep getting closer (ironically helped by reality TV) but there are still dinosaurs among us.

2. SamSam says:

Rats, I was hoping it was going to be a postcast by the fun DJ and mashup artist GirlTalk. Oh well, science is also interesting, I guess.

waiting for the ironic story where GirlTalk (the DJ) sues them for trademark infringement..

4. tr0nk says:

* also immediately thought this was about girltalk the artist/dj

however, as a human of the male persuasion, i fully support this effort in that it will add more much-needed geek girls to the future dating pool of coming generations, to pair off with already abundant geek guys (or other geek girls !!) and make many geek babies, leading to more geek guys and gals and whatever falls inbetween.

and after that ? singularity !!

5. Ito Kagehisa says:

My daughter loves writing and science and is at the head of her class in math.

For Xmas my sister-in-law gave her a dress and a suitcase-sized makeup kit (made in China with god knows how much lead and melamine).

This is the 3rd year in a row she’s given my daughter cosmetics.

• Anonymous says:

@Ito,

Let her.

Your daughter’s interests are her own. The aunt who doesn’t understand her achieves two goals — it educates her in the limits of relationships, and expands her horizons around the things that are less interesting to her.

Your daughter will likely more-or-less reject the values, but may benefit from the information of that mindset.

I am the opposite of your sister-in-law: my niece is a makeup-glitter-barbie obsessive who thinks her intellectual aunt is a bit crazy — I push her just a bit in my nerdy direction.

They say it takes a village to raise a child. Absolutely, and then some!

I think this is a chance for girls to be inspired by topics that were less traditional.

7. MitchSchaft says:

Why does sex have to be an issue? Sexists!

• Caroline says:

If that comment is serious, please spend some time looking up information about girls and women in science to find out why sex has to be an issue.

• Lobster says:

You say that, but I once heard an interview with a female physicist in which one of the audience members stood up and gave a long speech about feminism and concluded with a “question” that amounted to, “don’t you agree?” The physicist basically said, “I’d really rather talk about science.”

It’s great that this podcast is out there and I hope it inspires young girls to go into these fields, but the fact of the matter is that female scientists go into science because they like science, not because they want to stick it to the chauvinists.

• Antiqueight says:

why is there always one

8. chesterbr says:

Awww, no RSS? :-(

9. oscar says:

This is awesome, but why should the audience be limited to girls (or women)?

10. jtollert says:

Has anyone found a rss feed for the show? A page listing a bunch of mp3 files really does not a podcast make.

On the site girls talking about science & maths are represented by voluptuous lipsticked lips – so the aunt handing out the cosmetics wins. Have people NO sense of … oh I give up!