Kids' sleepovers with the dinosaurs in London's Natural History Museum

29 Responses to “Kids' sleepovers with the dinosaurs in London's Natural History Museum”

1. PBryden says:

Ditto for the Royal Tyrrell Museum in the Badlands of Drumheller, Canada. Plus a chaperone (read a lucky adult) is required! Like the Museum of Ancient Life in Utah, the Royal Tyrrell is one place that you must visit before you go the way of the dinosaurs.

2. COD says:

Volunteer with your local Scout / 4H / school science club / whatever group and you can be the responsible adult sleeping in a museum. My daughter did this at the Richmond Science Museum, and they also spent the night on a civil war era warship in Baltimore.

The Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa, Canada offers something similar. Seems from the other comments that it’s a very popular thing at museums.

4. elsuperjeffe says:

ditto – the natural history museum here in albuquerque has a sleepover night a couple of times each year. i believe it involves pizza, but i’ve always hoped they’d serve flintstone-size ribs.

Geez oh man. I wish they had that when I was a kid living in London. The museum is so cool and old and spooky. Somehow an overnight at the Albuquerque Natural History Museum pales in comparison.

6. James MacAulay says:

When I was a young’n, I went to a birthday sleepover at the Museum of Nature in Ottawa. Sleeping bags were laid out under their huge (especially for a 9-year-old) tyrannosaur skeleton. It was a blast.

7. JBARNIER says:

Yeah we have these at the Australian Museum here in Sydney too – my daughter and I have done sleepovers for their in-house Dinosaur Exhibition as well as touring exhibitions they’ve hosted for Mammoths and Egyptian Mummies as well. Torchlight tours, sleeping bags, late night screenings of A Night In The Museum – the whole lot and they’re fantastic. I couldn’t recommend this kind of thing highly enough!

8. cypherspace says:

Also at the Science Museum, just down the road.

They also do adults’ nights, although they’re not sleepovers.

The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew (where I work) does this too — although we do have a campfire.

10. airshowfan says:

This is so cool. I’m right with #7.

If I lived near a museum that did this (and, apparently, I used to, unknowingly), maybe I would gather a few fellow twenty-something nerds and we would hire five kids to go with us so that we could participate. Beats mowing the neighbor’s lawn!

11. Pipenta says:

Lots of big aquariums do this too. Why settle for snoozing with dinosaurs when you could be sleeping with the sharks?

12. anaximander says:

Ontario Science Centre in Toronto does it too – I’m still trying to figure out a way to get them to let me & my friends – we’re in our twenties – do it.

13. eris404 says:

They have sleepovers at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, too. I’ve always wanted to do that. :)

14. chip says:

The Franklin Institute in Philly does this as well. I did the sleepover thing a couple times as a Cub Scout in the late 80s. I had a blast.

15. flapdragon says:

Ditto the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh: http://www.carnegiemnh.org/programs/overnight.htm

16. ryuthrowsstuff says:

The Museum of Natural History and the Met in NY both do this. Although lately the Natural History ones have largely been tied into “Night at the Museum” and its sequel.

17. Mythus says:

When I was a young Brownie, or possibly a Junior (as in Girl Scouts), I got to sleep over at the Boston Museum of Science with a bunch of other girls. We slept in the math room, it was fantastic.

18. mgfarrelly says:

Oh my goodness. If this had been around when I was an obsessive 8 year old paleontological nut my brain would have exploded with joy.

19. Art says:

How Fantastic:
    *Torch-Lit Tours!!!
    *Sleepin’ under the Dinosaurs!!!

I surely wish the museums did something like this when
    I was a kid. What a wonderful and fun idea.

Why oh why are these things only for kids? I would still love to do that!

21. dculberson says:

I’m assuming by “torch-lit” they mean flashlight as opposed to guttering flaming stick. Too bad, a fire-lit night time tour of a natural history museum would be about the coolest thing ever.

Not that this is isn’t cool! It’s just not Chuck Norris fighting pirate zombies level cool.

22. MrWednesday says:

Application to be a kid again. Hang on, never grew up anyway!

23. Gunn says:

Cool. I wish I knew all this stuff twenty years ago. I would have had a kid.

24. Kludgegrrl says:

And, to add to the chorus, the ROM in Toronto also has something similar.

25. fungstyle says:

The Cincinnati Zoo offers sleepovers for adults AND kids! It’s the number 2 ranked zoo in the country, and one of my favorite places to visit no matter how many times I’ve been.

26. marksgelter says:

The North American Museum of Ancient Life in Lehi Utah (the world’s largest dinosaur museum, really!) also offers a similar program. If you’ve not been aware of this facility, I strongly recommend doing a Google and checking them out; they can also be found on the Atlas Obscura website.

27. smammers says:

Um, can it be a group of five or more adults? Because I know a few who would gladly attend this with me.

28. watman says:

This is too awesome. Does someone have five kids they can lend to me?