Funny: this was a sub-plot in True Names, the Hugo-nominated novella that Benjamin Rosenbaum and I published last year.
"This is an interesting approach which really differs by using the bots themselves as the oracles for producing the filters," says Michael O'Reirdan, chairman of the Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group, a coalition of technology companies. But he adds that botnets have grown so large that even a 1-minute delay in cracking the template would be "long enough for a very substantial spam campaign".
(Image: File:Zombie-process.png png, Wikimedia)
- Have botnet prices crashed? - Boing Boing
- Awesomely bad spam - Boing Boing
- Dream Captcha for spam-free sleep - Boing Boing
- Paintings inspired by spam subject-lines - Boing Boing
- Hank Paulson's bailout 419 letter - Boing Boing
- Boing Boing: The Strange World of Blogspot Spam Blogs
- Flarf: highfalutin word for spam/wordjunque poetry - Boing Boing
I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.