Phil Agre located, search not quite over

17 Responses to “Phil Agre located, search not quite over”

1. moosehunter says:

ok, so He’s well, great to hear..

now, I understand the Masses desire to know, but Phil is an adult, and has the right to dissapear. With or without his family, friends, etc…

We stand on the porch and wave him a fond farewell..
    all of this reminds me of the hoopla over “hoppin J Frog”
    another person best left alone.
    The Idweebs should focus on those people whe want the limelight, Like Brittany, or Dramatic Hamster

• Anonymous says:

If someone wants to avoid the masses, and it’s determined that he is safe, not under duress, and not a harm to himself or others, then Leave Him Alone.

It’s probably all the adulation that pushed him to seek a quiet escape. Leave him alone and let him live his life as HE wants to live it.

2. benher says:

After reading the article it doesn’t seem very relieving to hear that his safety is still up to speculation (lack of details provided by the LACoSD

I was under the impression that this might be a mental health/medication problem, making the discussion of privacy rights more problematic. I miss Dr. Agre’s presence.

4. SamSam says:

I couldn’t work out what you meant by the ominous-sounding “The facebook group Fans & Friends of Phil Agre is not as sure about the “safe” designation…” I went to the link, but saw nothing that enlightened me. Why is he not safe?

a homeless person stopped on the street, identified, but not arrested would be considered “found safe” according to the criteria of the police and sheriff’s office. Agre reportedly has bipolar disorder so “found safe” could just mean that he was found alive without any visible injury and no signs of any criminal activity. To the authorities, that’s enough, but to his friends and family, that might not be so reassuring.

6. scifijazznik says:

Sounds like he unplugged. I predict we will see more people who are currently very plugged in uncoupling for the sake of mental health. A backlash to constantly plugged-in culture is inevitable. It will be interesting and I hope it leads to something better.

7. johnofjack says:

I’m not sure if he unplugged, but there is something very liberating and relaxing about having times when you’re deliberately unavailable.

8. Day Vexx says:

There’s a pretty big difference between going “unplugged” and having your family so worried about your whereabouts that the FBI ends up hunting for you.

9. Baron Karza says:

Um, who? A little background or exposition would maybe make this a story.

• dculberson says:

There’s a link right there. Up above. Says “Follow up on an earlier post.” Click on it. It loves you. Show it that you love it, too.

10. Chris Williams says:

That’s a relief. I learned a massive shedload of useful stuff from him in the 1990s, and it’s still coming in handy today. A top bloke, and one of the world’s most significant teachers.

11. lectio says:

What a shame. Sounds like he doesn’t want to be found, but that’s not much comfort to his friends and family.

12. GlenBlank says:

The NPR blog post you link to says the UCLA Police Department bulletin says that he was located by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

UCLA PD and LACoSD are not “the LAPD.”

13. Jessamyn West says:

Whoops sorry I’ll fix that.

Phillip Agre is homeless, he can be found at the various shelters on skid row. He visits The saint vincent cardinal manning center about once a week. If anyone is interested in getting a hold of him they can call or drop by the Saint Vincent Cardinal Manning Center on winston Street.