Nicholas George, a senior in Middle-Eastern Studies at Pomona College, was detained, handcuffed, and intensively questioned by the TSA while trying to catch a flight back to school from Philadelphia. The TSA guards found English-Arabic flashcards in his luggage and said that because Osama bin Laden spoke Arabic, "these cards are suspicious." The FBI was called in, and an agent called him a "fucking idiot" when he asked why he was being held. After being asked if he was a communist or a Muslim, he was released. He was not read his rights at any time.
The ACLU has taken on his case, and they're suing.
TSA supervisor: "You know who did 9/11?"Student Handcuffed for English-Arabic Flashcards Sues TSA, FBI (Thanks, Rob!)
George: "Osama bin Laden."
TSA supervisor: "Do you know what language he spoke?"
TSA supervisor: "Do you see why these cards are suspicious?"
- TSA destroys the RepRap's first child Boing Boing
- Boing Boing: TSA donates potentially explosive liquids to homeless
- TSA warns TSA to be on the lookout for anti-terror agents - Boing ...
- TSA's no-bid, data-leaking website was a complete screw-up: House ...
- TSA at LAX still requiring air travelers to remove all electronics ...
- Boing Boing: Bruce Schneier interviews TSA head Kip Hawley