Steampunk Professor Xavier wheelchair

12 Responses to “Steampunk Professor Xavier wheelchair”

1. Teller says:

Wild Wild Valdez

2. Gainclone says:

The addition of the Vodka Cranberry dispenser seems so random! I love it!

It’s funny how steampunk today seems to be a concept for styling only and has nothing to do with actual steam power. The appeal of steampunk imho is in the absence of electricity and wacky applications. So, steampunk… is it only brass plus wood, art nouveau mixed with tones of early industrialism?

The wheelchair’s cool thouhg… no noubt there.

4. DarwinSurvivor says:

As cool as this wheelchair is, what does it have to do with xavier’s?

• Anonymous says:

It was part of a larger steampunk xmen group. It was built to BE the Xavier chair, notice the X motif on the arm rests and wheels.

I don’t know what all the semi-negative comments are about. This is an awesome piece and very definitely steampunk in my opinion. Keep in mind that all those victorian brass and whatnot items used to be and look new too… and steampunk mixes retro style with futuristic. Big kudos to the maker of this chair!

6. TuesdayWeld says:

Not to denigrate because it is an innovative use of materials (esp. the vodka cranberry cooling system/bubblers/dispenser), but I’m used to having my steampunk objects a little more… antique-y. I’m sure he was doing what he could with what he had, but the modern-looking chair controls kind of detract from the steampunk aesthetic for me. Kudos to him, though, for making something useful and coooool for wheelchair-bound people!

This reminds me of that one halloween when I built a golden crossdressing dalek that wheeled about and blasted electroclash. This video makes me think I should have added a boxed wine component.

8. Nona says:

Oh, I saw this at Dragoncon last year, with the rest of their steampunk X-men group. It was great-looking!

9. eeblet says:

So are there any handicapped nerds out there who are going to get use this thing? I know a few who’d probably dig the hell out of it. :)

10. Petula says:

I signed up for an account just so I could comment on how unbelievably amazing this is.
    Not only is it gorgeous, but the functionality is mind-blowing.