Music video with a whole school as the instrument

23 Responses to “Music video with a whole school as the instrument”

1. kmoser says:

How long until the administration punishes him for vandalizing school property?

reminds me of one of my all-time favorite commercials:

3. Cochituate says:

Ben, I hope you enjoy your time at Berklee. You are one good kid, and I think you’ll go far.

4. DoctressJulia says:

Reminds me of Drumstruck. Heh.

5. Fumbata says:

Ben appears to have a wonderful future ahead of him.

This further proves the awesome nature of mallet percussion. I approve!

What school is this filmed at? It sounds like they say “Good Morning TJ” in the middle of it.

8. ToMajorTom says:

I guess if that Berklee thing doesn’t work out, he can join the next national tour of STOMP.

9. Day Vexx says:

Nifty– but after a month, I don’t think you get to call it “improvised” anymore. Kudos on the recording quality!

That’s a pretty interesting piece, but there are no xylophones in it. Marimba, glockenspiel, vibraphone, no xylophone. {/music pedantry].

11. mgfarrelly says:

That’s a pretty eloquent statement about the importance of arts and music in schools.

Wonderful job Ben! Much success to you!

12. scifijazznik says:

That is fantastic. Congrats, Ben. I prefer to think he’ll walk the path of Evelyn Glennie rather than STOMP or Blue Man Group.

To pick a nit and agree with Day Vexx, it does say in the credits at the end it was composed by Ben. Therefore, it’s not improvised.

• Anonymous says:

Actually, the “improvised” part refers to the instruments used, not the creative process. As in, the lockers, doors, stools, etc. that he used are not traditional percussion instruments like the piano and marimba, and so forth, but rather adapted from the environment.

13. yellom says:

that’s not a xylophone. he is playing three different keyboard percussion instruments in addition to the piano – vibraphone (the low, metallic, sustained sounding one), marimba (the low, warm sounding one), and glockenspiel (the high one that sounds like bells).

14. Steve Silberman says:

You guys can blame me for saying “improvised,” though with this kind of music, the line between improvisation and composition is vague. But I think Ben did an awesome job and I wish him luck at Berklee in the fall.

• Anonymous says:

The author of the piece, in the credits of the video, says he composed it.

And yes, it is an awesome video and an awesome piece of music.

Anybody else remember Yaz Kaz?

Perhaps the new, post professional, post tv network complexity in video/art/music that Shirky was writing about in the piece linked to on bb yesterday is not so far off.

15. marither says:

Awesome! Do publish more! All the best! Kudos! :-)

its at gov thomas johnson high school

This reminds me of the awesome movie “Adventures of Power” where he says “I dont need drums, I am Drums”.