UK election: ask your candidates if they'll repeal the Digital Economy Act

11 Responses to “UK election: ask your candidates if they'll repeal the Digital Economy Act”

Hate to say it, Cory, but do you really think this will even matter? Since big business/big content already own the govts of all the “free world” countries, nothing the average constituent says makes it through anyway. We can’t afford to match or beat the kickbacks. If what we thought/wanted mattered, would we even have to have posts like this across the ‘net?

Look no further:

I would be very suprised if any of the big parties even conciders to repeal that travesty. I will be reinforced if anything. Your freedoms will be lost forever if you don’t fight for them.

3. joebenjamin says:

Saw a quote on the Web from a response someone got from Annunziata Rees-Mogg – she apparently stated, in essence, that she and her party felt that they should’ve brought in something like the Digital Economy Act many years ago, and overall gave the impression that she was delighted by it. She also said that it was good for the public, because peer-to-peer gives you viruses apparently. To anyone who cares even slightly about technology: I would steer clear of voting for Rees-Mogg if I were you. Actually, I’d steer clear of it anyway given that her website (http://annunziata.co.uk/) currently (depressingly) suggests that she believes her target constituency is ‘Somerset and Frome’ (check the title tags).

A quote from David Heath suggested that he had concerns about the Digital Economy Bill, but from the evidence, he didn’t vote against it in the end. As for our local Labour candidate’s viewpoint, it hardly matters as Labour have no hope in Somerton and Frome anyway.

I suspect that very few MPs have any grasp of technology, much less of radical ideas like ‘citizens can also be content creators, even without using a production company or infrastructure’ and that it is not generally believed that ‘technology politics’ really changes voting habits. In fact, it seems that it is pretty rare for it to do so – a lot of people who were fuming about the Bill just weeks ago are now cheerfully campaigning for exactly the same people who voted for it. That has to change before anybody will take these issues seriously.

My Green Party candidate replied on the same day, saying ‘It seems to be the government has buckled to the music industry without properly considering the implications of the changes. I would stand up against this act…’

No reply as yet from the ‘big’ parties.

LJT.

Already asked her. it’s Angela Smith, she said no.

I don’t want Big Media monitoring my Intellectual Property address! ;)

I say bring it on – we in the technology world are ready for this – as one door closes, we will open 10 more. There are way too many bedroom coders out there to help make this act impossible to police. Don’t underestimate the power of the GeekClub.

8. Pickled Whispers says:

Done.

I’ve been watching with horror as this whole affair has unfolded over the last couple of years, and I’m increasingly of the opinion that copyright law needs a serious overhaul.

9. edward301 says:

The Student Room (an aptly named uk university student forum) has student questions pitched to the 3 party candidates. One of which was they’re response/opinion on the digital economy bill.

I asked my MPs about this recently: http://www.houseofmoran.com/Election2010

11. funkyderek says:

Of course the incumbent MPs don’t need to be asked what they will do, as they have already voted on this. I’d be wary of trusting them if they said they would vote differently in the future.
    But then, I’ve a feeling a lot of the incumbents won’t get the chance to vote on this one again.