15 Responses to “Guestbook from the Merril Collection, Toronto's science fiction reference library”

1. lewis stoole says:

is cory left-handed?
    i see a familiar hand.

Posts like this make me feel so old, because in 1983 I was twenty-five years old. It’s weird to me that grownups today were kids back then.

One thing I will say, is how polite kids were with the guestbook. Recently, I visited my local museum, and glanced at the guestbook. You wouldn’t believe some of the rude stuff kids put in there.

• jimbuck says:

On flight back to NJ Friday, the youngish woman (or oldish girl) next to me ordered a drink and said “you want to see my id i bet”. Flight attendant sees it and says “88? ok, here you go”.

I was a junior in high school in 88. Damn passage of time.

• grimc says:

To be fair, advanced-placement kids (I’m guessing ALP stands for Advanced Learning Program–we called it Talented And Gifted when I was in school) would have a certain amount of reverence for a Science Fiction Reference Library, versus random kids towards a random museum.

• rosdoc says:

Actually ALP stands for the Alternative Learning Program. The kids in the program may have been talented or gifted but that wasn’t how they got there. The program was designed for kids who, for whatever reason, chose to be in an environment which was student-centered, and operated in a very democratic, open way. Classes were multi-age grouped and kids from kindergarten to grade 8 were in the program which was housed in a regular public school. The Toronto school system has many programs like this in their public schools.

I used to go to this library when I was small back in the 70′s when it was the Boys and Girls House and held children’s books and had children’s playshops. It defined learning for me and is one of my fondest memories growing up in Chinatown and going to nearby Orde St. School.

Thanks for coming Cory, loved meeting you, as well as the Q&A. :)

5. jonathan levy says:

Guestbook Time Machine!

Cory, did you stand on molecule number 12573 whilst reading the guestbook?

7. freedryk says:

My wife and I just took a trip across Canada and we stumbled upon the Merril collection while wandering around the University district. It was a total religious experience. What an amazing collection. They also have the Osborne Collection of Early Children’s Books in the same branch, which is equally mind blowing. Just beautiful.

8. pitkataistelu says:

Thanks Cory, loved the Q&A.

9. freshacconci says:

Cory’s from Willowdale? Well, that changes everything…

I like how Timmy Wu put “earth” for where he is from. Kudos to Cory for the awesome signature. Armsby seems like he’s compensating for something, even going so far as to assimilate part of Cox’s signature into his own!

11. anniearonburg says:

I guess all the cool kids had a Bhattacharya or two in their lives.

12. Rick. says: