NYT on 3D printing

10 Responses to “NYT on 3D printing”

1. fenderbasher says:

I’m a big fan of STL. I’m working on my first prototype design at work and while the model shop has a lead time of ~ 30 days for machined parts, I can get a 3D model made in a matter of hours at about 1/4 of the cost of machined.
    The nice thing is it allows me to try different iterations of a design; I’m now purposely planning on having a majority of the parts made this way for ease of replacement.
    I’d recommend looking into LENS systems, too…

2. Oren Beck says:

Any sufficiently disruptive technology is a threat to the established power bases.

OOk.. so. I thought this was pretty cool stuff. But after reading this, it’s yet another innovation that destroys a job industry? ugh

4. bwcbwc says:

Neither off-shore manufacturing nor on-shore automation will do a damn thing to make unskilled American workers productive enough to compete. Only desperation will make the average American overcome their anti-intellectual attitude to enough to go back to school and get some skilz.

The skilled workers will almost always find a new niche that is rewarding. Though in times like these it could take much too long.

5. turn_self_off says:

increase production capacity without increasing the number of jobs, and they expect to find buyers for their products where exactly?

The basic problem is that money needs to flow, not stagnate on some trust fund aristocrats account.

• Pantograph says:

It’s hardly an increase in production capacity. 3D printers are slow and thus expensive so they are useless for mass production. (in the time you’ve printed one doorknob, a commercial molding machine can produce a thousand) They shine at artisanal one-off tasks because they lack the huge startup costs of industrial manufacturing. (making the mold for making a doorknob and putting in in the machine can easily cost $1000)

• turn_self_off says:

dunno, if one could change the print head from laying a single strand of material to laying whole surfaces (much like how a laser printer prints a whole line at a time) the speed of a 3d printer would go up drastically.

The problem however is not how effective the machine is, but how many workers it displaces. This specifically as the money cycle goes something like “worker/customer > company > worker/customer”. The contemporary word consumer masks the relationship the workforce have with the vitality of the economy.

• flange225 says:

I think your right for now but the industry is making machines that can print 30 door knobs or more at a time.