Google's autocomplete blacklist

18 Responses to “Google's autocomplete blacklist”

1. Antinous / Moderator says:

my school had a dictionary that defined “lesbian” as “one addicted to the unnatural vice of Sappho”

My high school had an English teacher that handed me Out of the Closets: Voices of Gay Liberation for a 9th grade reading assignment. In a small town in New England. In 1972. Essays included Happy Birthday, Baby Butch, Sissy in Prison and Rapping with a Revolutionary Street Transvestite.

There are reasons why we Boomers are sometimes nostalgic about the old days. If a teacher did that today, she’d be executed, her house razed and the ground where she walked salted.

I’ve written to 2600 several times, but the most obvious exclusion is the word “adult”… you can’t get past the “U”

3. redstarr says:

I like that it does that when I’m at work. It doesn’t censor the real results,just the instant stuff. If I did want to see something that was blacklisted, I could just finish typing it in and hit enter and the results would be there like always. But the blacklist makes it so that those words or pages or images can’t possibly show up if I’m searching in view of a customer.

And really how instant do you need the results to be? Especially if you’re looking for some of that black listed stuff? If I’m looking for something kind of mature, I can wait a second or two to type the whole name. And while a few of those words have some very tame possibilities you could actually be searching for, most of the searchers for a lot of those are almost certainly not looking for the tame stuff. If you’re googling “black cock”, yeah, you totally could be looking for a male dark colored chicken, but chances are much better that those suggestions aren’t going to be what you really want. At least they’re being realistic. They’re not pretending that everyone that googles “ass” is looking for articles on donkeys.

4. Volker says:

I wonder what the dictionary entry for “Sappho” was. Or for her greek home island :-)

5. Cory Doctorow says:

“Sappho: An ancient Greek poetess.”

Basically, according to this dictionary, lesbians are addicted to writing poetry.

4chan works for me!
    I type in “4″ and the FIRST string after it from Google is “chan”

My favorite to enter is “Santorum”

8. Halloween Jack says:

“dirty pillows”? Good grief. I wonder if Stephen King knows about this.

9. Rosetta says:

I tried to search for a local cafe called “Massa” and the suggested completion was “massage sex”.

10. Matt J says:

“are [jews|christians|catholics, etc]” works just fine for me.

11. Matt J says:

Just checked the list, “are [jews|christians|catholics, etc]” isn’t blacklisted but “[jews|christians|catholics, etc] are” is.

12. Micah says:

Also, goat.se isn’t blacklisted, but goatse is.

13. DataShade says:

The Cheezburger network of lolcat-type sites has a branch called “Autocomplete Me” that just focuses on the terrible things that come up from partial search entries.

14. TooGoodToCheck says:

It’s incredibly easy to come up with a really long list of dirty words, but it is amazingly difficult to come up with a comprehensive list of dirty words.

15. Xenu says:

“Google is e”

Funny how that’s censored…