Mail-order animal catalog from 1972

26 Responses to “Mail-order animal catalog from 1972”

1. BobbyMike says:

Of course everyone knows that Stromberg’s still exist and still sells and mails chickens and other birds to customers….

Their bird quality is pretty good and you actually get better birds than you get from local feed stores. We’ve used them before, but found a better quality bird (for our pasture poultry) from a smaller “Mom & Pop” outfit.

Stromberg’s would probably still be shipping, but in the US it’s only legal to ship birds and cold-blooded animals through the mail.

2. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Mail order anteaters? Well, I guess it’s better than D-Con.

3. Lobster says:

I somehow question the wisdom of giving a bored young child ready access to a nigh-infinite supply of badgers.

4. ROSSINDETROIT says:

“Pet Crowing Roosters”. The perfect gift.

5. Sapa says:

Would they please send 2 skunks by airmail to my ex-boss?

6. rebdav says:

In the US it is still possible to order chickens and other live birds. You need to order a minimum amount and extra space will be filled with so called worthless male chicks as warm live packing peanuts, it is a better fate for the boys than being thrown live into a trash can.
    Mail order is a way for people who do not live near a feed store or rural hardware store to obtain pet chickens, turkeys, ducks, peacocks, and quail.

• Anonymous says:

Actually, rebdav, it’s more common to throw the male chicks into a cull line at the facility (where they are ground, live, in an auger) than to mail them with pullets. Do a search on YouTube for “killing male chicks” and it’s the first vid that comes up.

• andygates says:

“Warm live packing peanuts” has to be the phrase of the day.

7. boldlygo says:

Can I get an armadillo? That would be cool

8. Antinous / Moderator says:

I think I’ll just order me up one of them raccoons. They’re so hard to find otherwise.

We’ve mail-ordered a couple of ducks and tortoises before (from different places, of course :P). They all survived the experience. The ducks were a tidge dehydrated because UPS “lost track” of the box at one stop on their route, but they were fine after I gave them some water+electrolytes. The tortoises were hatchlings, and probably slept the whole way.

10. Tgg161 says:

Here’s an excellent article about a person who mail-ordered a monkey in the late 60s:

11. Tgg161 says:

…which I just noticed is in the > Previously section. I must have read it on BoingBoing.

12. Ryanwoofs says:

Who the hell would want to open up a box with a stinky, pissed off badger in it?

13. ackpht says:

You had me at “tatoo pliers”.

14. Gemma says:

I remember almost nothing about one of the old/original Grand Theft Auto games, apart from one of the radio ads that would run for PetsOvernight.com.

I didn’t actually know that animals got/get posted like this however. Apart from smaller creatures such as bees. (I have seen bees listed on the Royal Mail website of things you *can* post…. with the correct packaging.)

15. Teapunk says:

I remember my grandmother told me one of her dachshunds arrived by mail. He was a black short hair and she could hardly see him through the airholes. He didn’t only survive that ordeal but developed into a lovely dog and had a long and happy life.

Just like in “Do androids dream of electric sheep?” book…

17. arbitraryaardvark says:

I just wanted to order a few squirrels. My neighborhood has gray squirrrels, but no black white red or tufted ones. Google so far has failed me.

18. Latzenpratz says:

Badgers? Badgers? We don’t need no stinkin’ badgers!

19. PaulR says:

What, nearly ten comments and no obligatory XKCD reference?

Jeepers, people:

Now, er, STILL with tooltip typo goodness!

20. Felton / Moderator says:

No honey badgers or fossas? Typical. Okay, send me an ocelot.

21. nanuq says:

Life truly sucks for a fur bearing varmint. I hate to think what happens to animals in transit during a mail strike.